Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #1

Pentax for walkaround and landscape shots - Exchange

Hi everyone. Next year I am heading to Switzerland for a year long exchange with Rotary. Just wondering, would the Tamron 17-50 non VF be my best option, or should I just stick with the kit lens and save money? I am also hoping to take a fair amount of footage with the K-5 (that I will buy soon). Thanks for any responses.

10-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good choice. The Tamron 17-50 is a great lens for landscape, and I find it much sharper at the widest setting, with less CA, than the kit lens. It also retains good sharpness at comparatively wide apertures, whereas the kit lens needs to be stopped to f8 for decent IQ in my experience.
10-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

IMO, you should at least give the kit lens a chance... It's almost free with the purchase of a new K-5, so I think you might as well try it and if you find yourself limited with it, then buy something else (the Tamron being highly praised indeed).
Anyways, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with a K-5 in Switzerland
Also, the kit lens that comes with the K-5 is weather-sealed. Not sure if that matters to you but the Tamron isn't...
10-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #4

i dont know the tamron, but I have the non WR kit lens (18-55 II) and its performing very good. I,m using it for 95% of my stock photography.
Don,t use it wide open, like ihasa said, but at least use 5.6 or smaller.

10-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
IMO, you should at least give the kit lens a chance... It's almost free with the purchase of a new K-5, so I think you might as well try it and if you find yourself limited with it, then buy something else (the Tamron being highly praised indeed).
Anyways, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with a K-5 in Switzerland
Also, the kit lens that comes with the K-5 is weather-sealed. Not sure if that matters to you but the Tamron isn't...
This is true. You might get a good copy.
10-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fareseru Quote
would the Tamron 17-50 non VF be my best option, or should I just stick with the kit lens and save money?
The tamron is a nice sharp lens. It will also work in low light much better as it has a constant f2.8 aperture. It is bigger and heavier though...

If you are using the lens mostly for landscape, a nice tripod is more useful than anything else. I would walk around with kit lens if I were able to carry a lightweight tripod. Unfortunately light weight tripods are expensive.

Amazon.com: Benro C1190T Travel Flat Tripod with Carbon Fiber Twist Lock Legs: Electronics
10-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Make sure that you have your stuff before you come to Switzerland, because there it s more expensive then in the most other countries
Thats the only advice I can give you.
10-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I moved from the kit lens to a non-VC Tamron 17-50 earlier this year. Chalk and cheese. The Tamron is both much sharper and better contrast. I shoot a fair bit while business travelling, including in Europe and in the past have used the kit lens. The extra aperture available on the Tamron is a big plus. While only around 1/2 stop at 18mm, it's 2 whole stops at 50mm. It holds its sharpness better wide open as well IMO. You are often shooting in dull or marginal conditions in Europe eg historic building interiors, overcast weather, generally limited light in winter, so the constant F2.8 is a very significant advantage and one of the reasons I moved away from the kit lens. The extra 1mm at the wide end can also make a little bit of difference at the margin when trying to squeeze in buildings, interiors etc when you are unable to step back to get a wider view.

Make sure to get to Lucerne and the surrrounding area like Mt Rigi, Vitznau. Magic place for photography.

10-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #9

You guys made me curious so I checked for that tamron and i see one with and one without image stabilisator.

Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2,8 XR VC Di II LD ASL IF (€378)
Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2,8 XR Di II LD ASL IF (€308)

are you talking about this lens? The price difference here is €70, is that just because of the image stabilisation?
Do you need that stabilisation while there is also image stab. in the body?
10-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Yes, that's the one I have, the non VC version. With Pentax, it has in body stabilisation so you don't really need it in the lens as well where it adds bulk, weight and cost. You certainly would not run both simultaneously. The non VC version reviews better as well suggesting that the VC lens elements have some impact on image quality. Although some may argue that in-lens stabilisation may give a little more stabilisation benefit at very low shutter speeds, I'd just stick with the in body stabilisation and take the non VC version.
10-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #11

seems that the non VC version is much better than the VC version:

Review note:
Do not confuse the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC Lens. Preliminary testing, confirmed by reader feedback, indicates that the older non-VC lens has superior image quality.

Source:
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF Lens Review
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
You guys made me curious so I checked for that tamron and i see one with and one without image stabilisator.
dont think people realize that there is no such thing as a 17-50 vc version for pentax.

That is only for nikon and canon...

In fact, I dont think there is any vc lens for pentax made by tamron. It would not be of much use anyway since pentax has in-body stabilization.[ For short focal lengths like this in body stabilization is usually more than enough].
10-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
dont think people realize that there is no such thing as a 17-50 vc version for pentax.

That is only for nikon and canon...

In fact, I dont think there is any vc lens for pentax made by tamron. It would not be of much use anyway since pentax has in-body stabilization.[ For short focal lengths like this in body stabilization is usually more than enough].
you're right, I think it was a canon mounted Tamron review
10-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fareseru Quote
Hi everyone. Next year I am heading to Switzerland for a year long exchange with Rotary. Just wondering, would the Tamron 17-50 non VF be my best option, or should I just stick with the kit lens and save money? I am also hoping to take a fair amount of footage with the K-5 (that I will buy soon). Thanks for any responses.
A year-long Rotary exchange makes you a student? If you can easily afford the better lens, sure go for it. However, I need to ask what your photographic experience has been and what is your intended purpose/audience for your images? Without the experience, you may not notice the difference. And if you are predominately shooting memory snapshots for yourself or a travelogue for a non-art critic audience (which includes most Rotarians), they won't notice the difference.

The Rotary exchange program is a viewpoint broadening, life changing program, and with very very few exceptions, in a positive way. Do remember to send a note every few weeks back to your sponsoring club. While individual club members may not respond, they DO care greatly about your well being. They will share in your delight and do their best to work through any woes. Other than an occasional bout of homesickness, I suspect you will have a great year.

Hint: Skype works well, but is only free if there is a computer at each end. While still requiring a computer at your end, a magicJack purchased in the U.S. will allow you to make pretty much unlimited toll-free phone calls to any U.S. phone, and receive calls from any U.S. phone as though the magicJack is physically in the U.S. The purchase includes your 1st year of service, so it would be one flat cost if purchased just before departure.
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I sold the Tamron to help fund the K5 but can attest for it being sharp as nails!
Has a different look to my Pentax primes but produces when you need it... Highly recommended.