Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Playback mode - "jumping" picture when using the rear dial.

K5 rear dial use while in playback mode - "jumpy" pictures.

This is new:

When I review my pictures in playback mode, the image suddenly "jumps" back to the original size view when I turn the rear dial to zoom IN.

ex: take a pic; hit the Playback button; turn the rear dial to zoom in; after a few turns (3 or 4) the image suddenly changes back to the first view (full view).

So, I turned the camera off and tried again. Same thing.
Then I see that my metering mode was on "centre weighted average" - I switch to "spot" metering" and the darn thing is now doing what it is supposed to do: zooming with the rear dial no problem !!

I decided then to turn the camera off, take the battery out-reinsert battery: go to the playback mode: all is fine !!

Something just as weird also happened: when I switched back from the spot metering mode to the centre weighted average mode, the AE lock "mode" turned on: I could hear the beep and also the little star showing that it went into AE lock. !!

Took the battery out again: all is fine.

Anyone has a clue about this weird behavior? Battery was fully charged as of last evening and I had taken only 40 pics this morning.
Note: battery grip was also on (not turned on though)- full charge in there; I took it off before doing the "tests" above. Now all is fine with battery/battery grip on/reviewing in playback mode + zooming in/out, whether in spot or CWA metering.

Thanks.

JP

10-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Follow up from today outing:

I had the camera ON, sitting in the car as usual, all the way to one of my favorite spots ... about 30Km's away.

When I picked up the camera from the passenger seat, pressed half way on the shutter button to activate it and it started to "beep" and "blink" again: the "star" (*) thing, usually indicating that the AE is ON.

I pressed on the AE lock button and it went away: all normal again. I had not pressed the AE button when I took the camera in my hands the first time.

JP
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Second follow up from today:

The camera was shut off all evening/night/morning.
I turned it on this afternoon and this is what happened:

The AE-L "star" came on immediately upon booting up the camera and this also "caused" (?) "jumping" images while zooming in in the Playback Mode.
By jumping, I mean that I start to zoom in ... one turn of the rear dial, two turns, three ... all ok .... one more turn: the images flips back to the original size.

If I hit the AE-L button, all resumes to normal.

Apparently, contrarily to what I mentioned in my OP, this has nothing to do with the metering mode I have been using.

I hope someone will come in and offer some sort of explanation before I consider sending the K5 again (for the third time within 3 months) for yet another repair job.

This is getting very annoying and decidedly provocative in the sense that I am thinking of jumping ship ... not really but it has crossed my mind.

JP
10-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #4

Hi JP

I had exactly the same problem. If I pressed my thumb just under the AE-L button, it switched the AE lock on and off. It also jumped back to full size if I zoomed in playback. I suspected that a PCB which runs just under the handgrip was faulty. I had the camera for a week and sent it back. They exchanged it without a question when i demonstrated the problem (it was repeatable). Problem gone away..

Sorry - I believe there is a fault on your camera.

Tim

10-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Hi JP

I had exactly the same problem. If I pressed my thumb just under the AE-L button, it switched the AE lock on and off. It also jumped back to full size if I zoomed in playback. I suspected that a PCB which runs just under the handgrip was faulty. I had the camera for a week and sent it back. They exchanged it without a question when i demonstrated the problem (it was repeatable). Problem gone away..

Sorry - I believe there is a fault on your camera.

Tim
Thank you Tim for your reply.

It never occurred to me that the PCB would sit just under/inside the AE-L button, which makes a lot of sense.
When I grab the camera, it is most often done with my hand at the handgrip, very near the said PCB then.

So, I am going to send the K5 for yet another repair job, the third one since June 2012 !

JP

Edit: I re-checked the camera after work today and the darn thing behaved as it should ... ?? Even pressing near the AE-L button, at the handgrip like you described earlier, did not cause the "jumpy" pictures nor the sudden AE-L mode kicking in.
I am confused. The camera is still here but ready to be sent to Pentax Canada.

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

I was lucky in that the problem was so bad I could repeat it. An intermittent problem is the worst. Try twisting the camera especially near the hand grip.

Last edited by Timd; 10-19-2012 at 04:16 AM.
10-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
I was lucky in that the problem was so bad I ccould repeat it. An intermittent problem is the worst. Try twisting the camera especially near the hand grip.
Well, the camera is all packed and ready to be sent to Pentax Canada ... again !!

Something I have noticed: the problem was actually becoming less frequent while the battery was discharging.
When I turned the camera ON today a.m., after a full battery overnight-charge: the issue came back immediately.
Near-the-hand-grip-AE-L button is where the problem seems to be coming from indeed.

I am very glad that at least I have a backup camera body: a K7 but this sure isn't the K5 for birding and high ISO wildlife shots!!

JP
10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I appreciate this is late in posting, but my K7 acted up once (K5 and K5 are pretty much the same) and had real inconsistency when viewing photos and turning the thumbwheel to zoom, it was really erratic , would jump to max zoom, min zoom etc.

this occurred when the battery was close to dead. and was only at that time.

What was the battery status? using the display is a big battery user

10-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I appreciate this is late in posting, but my K7 acted up once (K5 and K5 are pretty much the same) and had real inconsistency when viewing photos and turning the thumbwheel to zoom, it was really erratic , would jump to max zoom, min zoom etc.

this occurred when the battery was close to dead. and was only at that time.

What was the battery status? using the display is a big battery user
Weird enough: full charge !

I even thought that the situation was worse with a fully charged battery, go figure.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the K5 is on its way to Mississauga, Ontario.
Lucky I have the K7 to back it up (I came close to put it up for sale a couple of weeks ago !) ... certainly not as efficient as the K5 for birding but that'll have to do for a while.

Cheers.

JP