Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is my lens OK

Hi. I just bought a Pentax DA*SMC55mm f1.4 SDM lens from Shueido Camera in Taiwan on ebay. It was sold as second hand but in mint condition.I paid $709 US and $30 postage. It arrived quickly with nothing but the lens. No bag or paperwork.
My problem is that when I turn the focus ring on the lens, where other ones go 'clunk' from stop to stop, this one is able to turn further and ring can go fully around in both directions. Once it gets to the 'clunk' either way, it then makes a slight binding noise as it moves beyond the stop. It does not sound or feel that it is doing anything damaging, but is this normal for this lens?
I tried a few shots yesterday when it arrived and found that the AF is not that accurate and for a crisp shot I had to manually correct the focus. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers Mark

10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.
This is normal behaviour for DA* lenses. It will not harm the lens if you do this but AF should be accurate as long as your focus point is on the subject you intended to focus on.
Try posting some examples with intact EXIF for more info.
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

For the focus ring: That is called a clutch mechanism, and allows the Quick Shift focusing for the DA* lenses. What happens is - there is a clutch ring within the focus ring that allows you to rotate the focus ring, even with the focusing motor engaged. The clutch ring prevents damage to the focusing motor - and lets you make adjustment to the focus manually without switching to manual focus mode.
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply Ash

10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you, just the info I needed.. I'll leave the feedback for the purchase on ebay.now.Cheers
10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Regarding the focus error: many of the DA*55 were reported to back focus, including the one I bought new in Spring of 2012. You can read about this in the Lens Database. On my K-5, I can easily compensate for this by applying +8 focus correction in the menu (I do plan to send it in for adjustment before the warranty expires).

If you are running one of the older DSLRs which do not support focus correction on a per-lens basis, then you may not have as much luck, if the focus problem you describe is due to back (or front) focus.
10-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi. I looked at the menu on my K10D and it doesn't support compensation. I will be updating to a new K5ii or iis soon and I tried out the focus again just a short time ago and Its out. I obviously have no warranty because of purchasing second hand. So I will try and find out if there is somewhere I can send it to here in Australia for correction.
You state that you compensate in your K5 menu... Does that mean that every time you change lens you have to reset it back.?
Cheers Mark
10-15-2012, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

The correction will only apply's to this specific lens and when you mount another lens it won't apply that correction to that lens. So no, you don't have to reset it back when you change lenses.

10-15-2012, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

A K-5 II is a good idea. You'll be greatly impressed at the advancement of the camera from your K10D.
10-15-2012, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

To add to Fries explanation, the K-5 (and many of the other newer bodies) have the ability to store individual focus corrections for up to something like 20 different lenses. Don't quote me on the exact number, I just know it is more lenses than I own. As soon as you re-mount a lens, it remembers the correction factor you previously entered for that lens.

If you are going to upgrade to a newer body anyhow, then you might want to just wait and see how it works with the lens. You may find that focus correction is all you need, and you don't have to go through the trouble and cost of having the lens adjusted at a repair facility. Of course, it also depends on whether you intend to keep the K10D along with the K-5 II/s.
10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
I relented... Just bought a new K5 from DWI $500 cheaper then the K5iiS. It will be a big improvement on my old faithful K10D and I will be able to fine tune the back focus on my new DA* 55
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eastbankflowers Quote
I relented... Just bought a new K5 from DWI $500 cheaper then the K5iiS. It will be a big improvement on my old faithful K10D and I will be able to fine tune the back focus on my new DA* 55
You absolutely will not regret it!
I moved from K-x to K5 and the improvement in IQ is vast...
11-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
I now have my new K5 and I have adjusted the AF to the maximum of 10 to correct. It still won't focus. So I will have to find somewhere to send it, to be professionally adjusted.. Where can I can send my new DA* SMC 55 f1.4 lens to. To be recallibrated.?
11-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

That's bad luck Mark! I am on the other side of the world so I can't help you with you latest question, but perhaps someone who lives a little closer by can help? And perhaps it is it possible to return the lens and get a refund?
11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks Fries. I have set it to max 10+ and its still not quite right at f1.4. but at higher settings it still produces a nice crisp shot. I'll live with it for a while, and see how it goes.
Cheers Mark