Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAsahi Quote
Great reply, from a K-x owner like me. I am sorry but you put the foil over all contacts? Because we must use un adapter that I made permanent in my M42 lens, and dig a hole for the lens to lock, so the mount pin lock them. Now I must care for the mount contacts to be shorted some how, that s it? All of them? No mater what information the contact pass! It will work like that...amazing, I am going to try this as soon I get home! thanks a lot!
I'm not sure which contacts actually matter, but since lenses with an all-metal base short all the contacts anyway it doesn't hurt anything.
I'm thinking of getting some kind of aluminium tape to have a semi-permanent solution, fiddling with foil is more of a temporary one.

12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #17

Or just sand off the paint/anodized finish. Tape at least is reversible.
12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Forum Member

As an added bonus, Catch-in Focus will work too. Just enable it in Custom Settings and set the focus switch to AF.
The funny thing is that playing with CIF and wondering why it only worked with one lens, and why that lens also happened to be the only one with correct Av metering, was what led me to trying the aluminium foil trick

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Or just sand off the paint/anodized finish. Tape at least is reversible.
That's a solution too, but I think I prefer reversible solutions at least for the time being.
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enemix Quote
As an added bonus, Catch-in Focus will work too. Just enable it in Custom Settings and set the focus switch to AF.
The funny thing is that playing with CIF and wondering why it only worked with one lens, and why that lens also happened to be the only one with correct Av metering, was what led me to trying the aluminium foil trick

That's a solution too, but I think I prefer reversible solutions at least for the time being.
Great! I think I am going to paint it with a metallic ink or glue the aluminum foil in the lens, I do not know if exists a metallic tape... I screwed the adapter any way so paint will not damage it so much.

12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #20

I've read that tape eventually starts to peel off from repeated mounting/dismounting. You can always put fresh tape on. One person was cutting up aluminum beer cans and gluing a piece on to the lens. If you remove the paint in the proper areas of the aluminum piece you can simulate a KA mount provided you short the "A" pin on the body. This can be done on a permanent/reversible way by removing the mount ring from the body and putting a small piece of foil over the "A" pin and replacing the mount. If you use "hot glue" the piece and glue residue can be peeled off. You may need to soften the glue a bit with heat or rubbing alcohol.
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've read that tape eventually starts to peel off from repeated mounting/dismounting. You can always put fresh tape on. One person was cutting up aluminum beer cans and gluing a piece on to the lens. If you remove the paint in the proper areas of the aluminum piece you can simulate a KA mount provided you short the "A" pin on the body. This can be done on a permanent/reversible way by removing the mount ring from the body and putting a small piece of foil over the "A" pin and replacing the mount. If you use "hot glue" the piece and glue residue can be peeled off. You may need to soften the glue a bit with heat or rubbing alcohol.
I don't think I'll mess with the camera body, rather mess up a $40 lens than a $500 camera body XD

If aluminium tape or glued foil doesn't work I'll probably just try sanding the surface on the lens mount
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a slew of conductive tapes with adhesive backs available out there.
No need to cut up soda cans and try to glue them on. Unless you want to...

EMI Shielding Foil Tapes

12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Forum Member

Stuck some exhaust repair tape on the lenses, works great. Now I'll just see how long it lasts