Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

CIF with Kr and IR remote

Hi, I have been playing around with CIF on my Kr. I was trying to set up the camera to remain primed ready to shoot when something moves into focus without physically holding the shutter release button. I have the [AF with remote control] set to on and when I operate the remote control button the red indicator light stops flashing and I am able to have the camera fire by moving something into the focus point but I only have a window of around 10 secounds then the red light resumes flashing and the camera is no longer primed. It seems from reading another thread that some of the better cameras can be set to remain primed indefinitely. Am I missing a setting, is my Kr not clever enough or is there another sort of remote control available?
Thanks for any help in advance.

10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you use a cable release instead. I have one that cost me all of $2.50 (including shipping) and that works fine with my K10D. It even has a lock. I don't know how long it will last, but while it works, it's great.
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I suggest you use a cable release instead.
The K-r only supports an IR release.

Although you can use darn near any kind of release if you modify the IR remote:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

But I digress from the OP's original question ... I've not tried using CIF with the remote. I would guess though that Pentax didn't want to let the batteries go flat because the photographer forgot to turn things off when done. It may not be possible to use your K-r in the manner you describe. BUT, if you rigged a motion detection switch to the above DIY project, the shutter wouldn't be tripped in the first place until something was in range.

Hmmm, not that I have time right now, but you've got me thinking about something I could play with this winter as the snow piles up outside.
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did not realize that the K-R did not accept wired release. Sorry.

10-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The K-r only supports an IR release.

Although you can use darn near any kind of release if you modify the IR remote:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

But I digress from the OP's original question ... I've not tried using CIF with the remote. I would guess though that Pentax didn't want to let the batteries go flat because the photographer forgot to turn things off when done. It may not be possible to use your K-r in the manner you describe. BUT, if you rigged a motion detection switch to the above DIY project, the shutter wouldn't be tripped in the first place until something was in range.

Hmmm, not that I have time right now, but you've got me thinking about something I could play with this winter as the snow piles up outside.
Such an inventive mind JimJ. I will definitly store that away for future reference but for the meantime I might have to revert to the rubberband and pencil rubber method.