Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #16

Hi,

The retainer ring may have RH or LH thread. On my (very early) SP the thread is RH so to loosen it you turn it countreclockwise!!! In genera: if it is very tight, you are turning in the wrong direction!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

huge10

03-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by huge10 Quote
Hi,

The retainer ring may have RH or LH thread. On my (very early) SP the thread is RH so to loosen it you turn it countreclockwise!!! In genera: if it is very tight, you are turning in the wrong direction!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

huge10

On my SPII, it's Right Handed. A delicate screw which can easily snap... I learned the hard way (Hopefully it was on my "for parts" SP).
07-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Step 1.

Lets look at removing the rewinding knob.
Taking a tool to wedge into the prongs to hold it stationary we can spin the knob counter-clockwise to remove

Step 2.

We need to spin this off with a pointed end spanner tool or something

I my case I have a modified jewelry priers ground down to points. It is great for loosening all pin or point or small slotted rings, but slow for spinning them off.

Watch out for the ball bearing. I tape them down to the desk to keep them where I can find them later.

Step 3.

Shutter speed dial is again, pin spanner and it spins off with a counter clockwise direction
Note the positions of the dial and the tabs under it to reattach later.

Step 4.

Bezel of the counter is held down by three tiny flat slotted screws. No need to remove just loosen until the slightly protrude out.

Step 5.

The number dial is secured with a slot screw and it is removed by turning clockwise.

Gently pry out from the sides.

Step 6.

Another spanner job. This is a clockwise to remove retainer. Once the retainer is off you can lift the dish out.

Step 7.

Next is the bayonet retaining ring. Three cross head screws lock it in place. Once the screws are removed the ring can by coaxed around to remove the lever. Also, lift the dust shield out of the way.

Step 8.

Now you have three screws to remove that holds the shell down. Note that they are different types and lengths. One forward the rewind side is long-ish and one closer to the viewfinder is narrow and short. The one next to the advance lever area has a wide head.

Step 9.

You have now accessed the insides.

Note that the two of these spring must be unhitched from the strap. Note also where they are attached to below as to fit them later.
Also note that the prism has a soft plastic cover and it will be removed and set aside, but do take care not to nick the black surface of the prism while continuing.

To remove the prism next you first have to loosen one of the clamp screw. Try not to move the other as they together set the alignment.

That is it I hope.

I suggest you blow carefully off the crumbs first. Do not invert the body or risk spilling out the parts of the screen.
Thank you MysteryOnion. Indispensable, truly.