Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
8 element 50mm takumar clearance question

Hey guys,

You know how when you use an 8 element version of the takumar 50mm 1.4 on full frame Canon 5D people report that the mirror is going to hit the lens because it goes too deep inside the body. What if you were to use that lens with a m42 adapter on a Pentax K1000 or on potentially a future digital pentax full frame. Will the mirror of the camera hit the lens? Thanks in advance!!

10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Hey guys,

You know how when you use an 8 element version of the takumar 50mm 1.4 on full frame Canon 5D people report that the mirror is going to hit the lens because it goes too deep inside the body. What if you were to use that lens with a m42 adapter on a Pentax K1000 or on potentially a future digital pentax full frame. Will the mirror of the camera hit the lens? Thanks in advance!!
That lens has been used on all Pentax film cameras with no issue -- it was made for one after all. Strange that Canon would have that problem -- it sticks out but not outrageously so. (Not like the Yashinon DX 50/1.7, which reportedly sometimes hits the mirror even on APS-C bodies although I've had no trouble.)
10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

There are no problems using one on any Pentax body.
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
on potentially a future digital pentax full frame.
I've bookmarked this thread and as soon as my LXd arrives I will test it.

10-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not the mirror hitting the lens elements, actually, it's the aperture level that protrudes a bit more than a safe amount. I think you can remove the level easily though.(Rather than lopping it off, like some suggest)
10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've bookmarked this thread and as soon as my LXd arrives I will test it.
Hahahaha. Is that the future full frame? Okay guys. Thanks for confirming this for me!
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
It's not the mirror hitting the lens elements, actually, it's the aperture level that protrudes a bit more than a safe amount. I think you can remove the level easily though.(Rather than lopping it off, like some suggest)
There is no aperture lever on a m42, just a little pin, and they are all the same -- if that was the problem then the Canon would a problem with m42 with an aperture pin, which is most of them.
10-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Had that lens, have used it on a range of Pentax k mount film and digital bodies - no problems.

10-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

what type of canon adapter are they using

you have to remember that the system regestry is a lot shorter for canon than pentax. If they use a flush mount adaptor, they will potentially not have close focus, but if they use an adaptor that corects for regestry distance, there should be no issue
10-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There is no aperture lever on a m42, just a little pin, and they are all the same -- if that was the problem then the Canon would a problem with m42 with an aperture pin, which is most of them.
Oh. Don't mind me, I'm just derpin' over here. Forgot M42=/=K.(Bloody seamless adapter!)
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what type of canon adapter are they using

you have to remember that the system regestry is a lot shorter for canon than pentax. If they use a flush mount adaptor, they will potentially not have close focus, but if they use an adaptor that corects for regestry distance, there should be no issue
Yeah, I would assume that a decent adapter would use the correct distance, especially since it is easier to make a non-flush adapter anyway. But there still could be design differences or bigger mirrors or whatever that will cause a problem. I mentioned the Yashinon DX 50/1.7, which is a standard m42 mount but when at infinity can be expected to hit the mirror on any full-frame camera that isn't a Yashica of that era -- it even has problems with other m42 mount Yashica bodies that were produced later.
10-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I would assume that a decent adapter would use the correct distance, especially since it is easier to make a non-flush adapter anyway. But there still could be design differences or bigger mirrors or whatever that will cause a problem. I mentioned the Yashinon DX 50/1.7, which is a standard m42 mount but when at infinity can be expected to hit the mirror on any full-frame camera that isn't a Yashica of that era -- it even has problems with other m42 mount Yashica bodies that were produced later.
I can understand this to some extent because the mirror mechanics are different between different manufacturers, but you would think that with canon, and the shortest regestry distance on the market, that the mirror would not be an issue because it has to work on their lenses too, but then again, their mount is much bigger in diameter, and there are no activating levers etc, as everything is internal to the lens (both focus and aperture control, so?????
10-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Only thing you should know is that it doesn't fit the early variant of the SV, the one with the green R. (and perhaps earlier cameras too)
10-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Yea, I looked more into it and I think it shouldnt be a problem. It looks Canon does have a tiny flange distance ( Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and since the mirror of the full frame is bigger this is why it is probably a problem. Pentax K and the M42 are the same with an extra 1.46mm
11-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Yashinon DX hitting mirror on M42 cameras

I have to agree with the above. Just today I discovered mid-roll that a Yashinon DX 1.7/50 hit the mirror of my ME Super (w/M42 adaptor) when focused at about 10-15 ft or more. A small chip of the mirror broke off. Until about frame 20 I was shooting portraits, so I didn't notice. Fortunately I have two 1.7/50 DS-Ms which shouldn't cause any problems. It is true that DX Yashinons were problematic in that respect, even my Yashica Electro AX (late aperture priority semiauto M42 camera) won't accept them, the whole DS line of Yashinons were designed for that reason. It's a pity, because the DX line seems to be much better built, although the DS-Ms are multicoated.