Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

how does bracketing work?

I'm not near my camera or manual right now so do you guys know how to use bracketing? does it take 3 pictures in a row at different exposures real fast just like in hdr mode? are you able to do more than just 3 steps (on K-5)?

10-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it takes several images in a row. To go back to the beginning, you setup bracketing, indicating the number of images, 3 or 5, and the amount of ev distance between each one, 1/3, 1/2 or 1 ev step. You previously also indicate the order in which you wish them to be taken. The way the camera takes the individual images (adjusting for the ev steps) depends on the mode you are in. For instance with Av mode, the shutter speed is adjusted. Other parameters are varied in other modes in order to adjusts to the desired ev for each image.

I may be wrong, but if you are up against the 30 second shutter limit, then the body adjusts other parameters in order to obtain the desired ev.

You can also shift the center ev up or down, in order to adjust the entire ev range that you will be shooting.

If you setup a 2 second delay, it will drop in a 2 second delay in between each image.

hope that helps......

10-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Basically yes, bracketing can be used to take photos and then use software on the computer to put them together into HDR. The K-5 has a lot of options regarding bracketing. The other models (as far as I know) have fewer options (for example, cannot bracket 5, only brackets 3. Or they don't allow timer, stuff like that).
10-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bracketing is not necessarily just for HDR. It is simply an automated version of what we used to do manually - take 3 (or more) images of the same subject at slightly different exposures to increase the chances of getting one that is properly exposed. It was much more useful in the days of film when we couldn't see immediately what we had but it is still helpful with digital in difficult lighting. Instead of taking and checking several shots one at a time, you can just rip off 3 or 5 and be pretty sure one will be close to right on.

10-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yup ! and very handy indeed for JPG shooters. Obviously JPGs are much smaller file sizes so it doesnt fill your card so fast. And since you cant scrape as much detail from JPG as from raw it can be a godsend
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

not to high jack but i think the OP's been answered, I noticed when doing a bracket for an HDR of an industrial shop, the aperature was changed along with the shutter speed in manual mode. How does the change in depth of field effect stacking the images into hdr?
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Screws it up. You need everything to be identical except the amount of light hitting the sensor. Better to lock aperture and let the camera bracket with shutter. Its a snap on a tripod. If handholding, you need to be sure the lowest value will be fast enough to avoid camera movement blur. Adjust ISO if necessary.
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You don't want the aperture to change for HDR. Sometimes you can get away with it once it's too late but it's better to avoid it. If you use Av mode and a fixed ISO, only the shutter speed will vary.

10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter

This may sound really stupid Iam an old man shooting Pentax many years Can someone please walk me through the camera settings to set up a 5 exposure set Im trying but have something in my settings wrong. I would truly appreciate your help.
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Depends on camera. On my k5 the quickest place to find it is to press the timer button on the direction keys. On my k20 there's a bracket button to the left of the viewfinder. Both use the front and back rollers to adjust number of shots and EV value.
10-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Thank you that was very simple