Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-x with 31mm limited or K-5 with budget prime ?

I'v sold my 5D II ,,, for future pentax FF ,,, until pentax announce the FF ,,, i have searching for a budget pentax body like k-x or k-r here in Egypt ,, during my search , i have discovered an old photographer want to sell 31mm made in japan black limited for just 490$ ,, i catch it ,,, still searching for used k-x body but am thinking to sell the 31mm for favor of used k-5 classic and buying a budget pentax price such as 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 2.4 ....

What is more wise ,,, keeping the 31mm (can't found another one for the same offer) + used K-x or selling 31mm for used k-5 classic with budget prime ??

10-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a k-x user, I know how wonderful it is for making pictures, and I know the FA 31 is insanely good.

However, as a k-x user, I would suggest you get the k-5 classic or the k-5II and a budget prime (DA 35 or DA 50). The difference in the bodies in terms of utility (IQ and noise improvements aside) is massive.
10-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

In the long term, the 31mm has more value. I'd probably go with the 31mm, as the k-5 prices are still dropping. $490 is just too good to pass up.
10-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Keep the 31 and get the kx!
I have had it and I've switched to the k5 just because I founded an offer! But the kx is the best for me! You also have the best ISO quality!
Of course, at the beginning, you will be a bit disappointed, since the downgrade from the 5MII is consistent, but just after few shots you will love it/them!
In addition to this, you can grab a 18-55 for a few euros!
For me, this could be the right choice for now!
Gabriele

-edit- And if you are waiting for a FF pentax, it makes more sense keeping a FF lens! Maybe look for some DA that can be used also on FF, but I don't know what to suggest you!

10-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Banned

The lenses are the investment, not the body, even though they might be expensive.

Don't hold your breath for a FF Pentax soon. They will most likely put one out, but whether it's soon or in the distant future is a problem. There's been lots of irresponsible reporting on this site and others about it, so that's why people are waiting for the FF Pentax.

Regardless, FF, these days, gives mostly just wider angles, something Pentax is pretty weak with in their lens selection. No fast wide lenses, aside from the large DA14, which is criticized a bit.

Anyhow, even on a KX, a good lens will make it shine. Digitalrev did a comparison of a 5D11 or III against a Rebel something, but both with L-glass. It said it all for how much of a difference a good quality lens makes.

Sad that you sold your 5DII for no reason, though.

Also, I read your posts on DPR, which took a different course than this. Makes me wonder, actually.
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly understand the question along with the dilemma. In that you are going (waiting) for a FF, then keep the 31Ltd. A Kx or Kr is a reasonably body with a lot of capability. Going from a 5D to a Kx/r will be different, however when a FF arrives (a year or two or three, who really knows), you will have the glass. I too stumbled upon a 31Ltd at a wonderful price and will not part with it. A K5 is very tempting, but you are in a temporary holding pattern.

10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get the FA 31mm! I shoot K-x (MF lenses, mostly), and it's a very capable camera. Many owners of K-x and K-5 say the IQ difference between the two cameras isn't much. The K-5 has all the bells and whistles, it's weather-sealed, has a larger viewfinder, better AF... But I think the quality of the 31mm (for $500!!!) should trump all these advantages, especially considering you're waiting for the FF. I was about to get a K-30 or K-5, but the new info regarding FF development is pretty encouraging, so I decided to wait. I'll get either the Pentax FF or the K-5IIs depending on how future unfolds.

IQ-wise, the K-x + FA 31mm will certainly beat the K-5 + a cheapo prime (DA 35/2.4 or DA 50/1.8).

Last edited by causey; 10-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Kx has some features missing cant you get a Kr maybe?

10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
IQ-wise, the K-x + FA 31mm will certainly beat the K-5 + a cheapo prime (DA 35/2.4 or DA 50/1.8).
I actually doubt that.
In both cases the lens can easily out resolve the sensor but since the senor of the K5 is better in all respect i can see it getting more out of the lenses then the Kx
10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I actually doubt that.
In both cases the lens can easily out resolve the sensor but since the senor of the K5 is better in all respect i can see it getting more out of the lenses then the Kx
I downloaded lots of photos taken with the K-5 (dng and jpg) and compared them with photos taken with (my) K-x. (Imaging Resource has the same frames taken with both cameras.) It was generally difficult to see any difference on my 22" IPS screen and on my 42" led TV. Maybe prints are different, but I rarely print... That's why I've held off buying a K-5, even if--God knows!--I was tempted... (The K-5IIs looks more tempting for me, and a FF would be another thing...)
On the other hand, I can clearly see how a good lens makes a difference. Even my $80 SMC Tak 28mm 3.5 yields spectacular results compared to the kit lens (or even the DA 16-45mm). The key quality is microcontrast, IMO. The 31mm has that and much more.

Last edited by causey; 10-21-2012 at 05:11 PM.
10-21-2012, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I actually doubt that.
Depends upon what you're talking about.

In terms of center resolution at F/5.6 I agree.

In terms of edge resolution at f/2.4 I don't.

In terms of bokeh, DOF, the 31mm just does things the 35mm can't.

In terms of DR, SNR, the K-5 just does things the K-x can't.

In two years, the price difference between a used K-x and a used K-5 will be $300. The price difference between a MIJ 31mm and a 35mm f/2.4 will be $600 (if prices stay the same) or $1000 (if Pentax keeps screwing around with pricing).
10-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Get the 31mm! I wouldn't downgrade my K-5 to a K-X now but at the same time in your case I would get a great lens now and save for the K-5 or something in the future. As people mentioned body prices are dropping but your 31mm will hold its value so this way you save some money in the end while the other way around will make a much more expensive way.
10-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm convinced to keep the 31mm as i can't see other one (not only buy one) if i sold it ,, i have used K-x before my 5D II ,,, its a very good camera ,, also i have over 15 manual lens for pentax screw and k-mount ,, am looking for buying the old photographer's 77mm 1.8 limited but he is insisting not to sell it ,,, he giving me the choice between the 31mm and the 77mm for the same price 490$ ,,, but he tell me if i want the 77mm , then must trade it with 31mm ,, i could not buy both !!
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoshoper Quote
I'm convinced to keep the 31mm as i can't see other one (not only buy one) if i sold it ,, i have used K-x before my 5D II ,,, its a very good camera ,, also i have over 15 manual lens for pentax screw and k-mount ,, am looking for buying the old photographer's 77mm 1.8 limited but he is insisting not to sell it ,,, he giving me the choice between the 31mm and the 77mm for the same price 490$ ,,, but he tell me if i want the 77mm , then must trade it with 31mm ,, i could not buy both !!
Get the 31mm.
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I downloaded lots of photos taken with the K-5 (dng and jpg) and compared them with photos taken with (my) K-x. (Imaging Resource has the same frames taken with both cameras.) It was generally difficult to see any difference on my 22" IPS screen and on my 42" led TV. Maybe prints are different, but I rarely print... That's why I've held off buying a K-5, even if--God knows!--I was tempted... (The K-5IIs looks more tempting for me, and a FF would be another thing...)
On the other hand, I can clearly see how a good lens makes a difference. Even my $80 SMC Tak 28mm 3.5 yields spectacular results compared to the kit lens (or even the DA 16-45mm). The key quality is microcontrast, IMO. The 31mm has that and much more.
Look at the finer details with RAW, the K5 has the edge their and of course dynamic range, i'm not saying the Kx has a bad sensor, it's super actually certainly for the price point and i can see way you keep the Kx.

It's just that i can think of situations and settings that a K5 with DA 35/2.4 or DA 50/1.8 will out preform a Kx with a 31mm.
At for example f/5.6 there is little between the sharpness of these lenses so it's all about the extras the camera can give, the K5 just has the edge there.