Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #1

K5 overexposure getting worse

My k5 is overexposing pics in every mode. The ISO, aperture and shutter speed are all correct when shooting in various modes, but my pictures are almost completely white. This does not happen every time but randomly when shooting. The problem seems to be getting worse during every photo shoot. When I switch the camera to auto it is still overexposing like in p or manual mode. I've tried taking the battery out, removing the lens a few times and nothing is working. Should I send the camera in for repair? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

10-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it needs to go in for repair. Sorry.
10-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This maybe related or not, but i had the same thing happen on my K-7 but only with my Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8.
It turned out that it wasn't the camera but the lens.... I starting to get a little careless with my rapid lens changes (I think) and I bent the aperture leaver a little and it was getting stuck against the lens and staying open no matter what aperture setting I set.
Once i freed it up everything came back to normal again.
10-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
This maybe related or not, but i had the same thing happen on my K-7 but only with my Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8.
It turned out that it wasn't the camera but the lens.... I starting to get a little careless with my rapid lens changes (I think) and I bent the aperture leaver a little and it was getting stuck against the lens and staying open no matter what aperture setting I set.
Once i freed it up everything came back to normal again.
It's happening on my 77 limited and on my kit lens which makes me think something is wrong internally. In manual mode the histogram is showing a balanced exposure, but it comes out either white or way overexposed.

10-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried bringing the photos up on your computer to see how it looks?
10-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah I've tried that, they are overexposured even though the ISO is 100, shutter speed 1000, aperture, f4. I'm getting pics that are white or really off. What is weird is it seems to be getting worse. I love this camera and it takes amazing pics with the 77 limited, but I think I need to send it in for repair. Am I correct to assume that auto mode wipes out any modification in the settings besides a few settings because it is happening even in that mode.
10-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I went through this with my *ist.. the exposure circuit board had to be replaced. The *ist was one of the few things in my life I've ever bought the extended warranty for. As luck would have it, it was 2.5 years old and 6 months from being off warranty,, and it was repaired for no cost. However henries told me the bill was $750. The K100D was out by that time and could have been bought for $549. I'll never understand why they didn't just offer me a K100D and save themselves $200... but on the other hand, I did love that *ist.
10-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem with my LX and 31mm Limited. The aperture coupler was very slightly out of alignment on the LX which meant that it would not catch properly on the lens. I would be able to turn the aperture ring one way and see the effect on shutter speed in the viewfinder, but when I turned it the other way, no change. I bent the coupler back a little and it seems to be better. My procedure now is to close the lens down to minimum aperture (but not onto the "A" setting) before mounting it on the LX body and then it is fine.

10-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Is happening to shots that are mostly stopped down 2 or more stops from wide open? Does it ever happen when shooting wide open? If it doesn't, I'd guess there is an issue with the aperture mechanism. If it does, I have no idea.
10-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Check your metering pattern. Are you perchance in spot metering mode? Metering pattern is a hard button
that's not affected by a reset or battery pull.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freewheelin25 Quote
..., but my pictures are almost completely white. ...
That doesn't sound like metering problem to me... the aperture mechanism in your camera seem to have a problem, you can only shoot wide-open.

Also, you mentioned that it also happens to your FA 77 lens... the problem is very likely in the camera.
10-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
I switched my metering from center to matrix and the issue is still happening. The issue is happening across all apertures. Every time it happens I immediately go into manual mode to see what going on and that does not help even when the histogram is perfect.
10-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

It sound like the exposure metering is not functioning. Either the sensor cell or the controller that passes the values into the meter circuit is not holding values. Send it in for repair.
10-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tend to agree that your camera is destined for the repair shop.

You might be able to figure out if the issue is mechanical or electronic by using the green button in stopdown mode (Optical Preview). Set you camera to an intermediate f/stop, focus and press the green button. The view should dim as the lens is stopped down to show your depth of field at that aperture. If there are any issues with stopping down and returning to full aperture, you have a mechanical issue. Otherwise you have a metering issue.
10-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to send it in for repair.