Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

AF360 issue

I purchased the AF360 last week, new from B&H. At first I could not get it to fire at all. I tried a second set of batteries, changed lenses, moved it from my K-5 to my K10D, and tried it detached from the camera, all to no avail. It was clearly communicating with the camera, but The ready light would not come on at all. Later in the day I was able to get it to fire a couple times, but never in succession without shuffling through the modes and back to p-ttl. Most of the time the ready light would go out as soon as I pushed the shutter button half way. The next day I gave it another try, and this time it worked just fine. Over the course of the day I gave it several tires. It recycled very quick and seemed to work just like it should. Today it was being very finicky again. With some effort I could get it to fire, but it would not recycle unless I scrolled through all the modes and back to p-ttl.

This is my first time using a hot shoe flash on my Pentax (I have used them before on Olympus cameras), so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if it is a dud and I need to send it back to B&H? Both sets of batteries I tried were new out of the box, though they had sat in my drawer for a couple years. They red-lined my battery tester on the fully charged end of the gauge.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Any advice will be much appreciated!
First thing to make sure is turn the camera on first followed by the AF360FGZ (flash should be already on the shoe), not other way. To have an effective communication between the camera and flash (My sequences):
1) Flash mounted on the Camera (with DA, FA lens mounted)
2) Turn on Camera
3) Turn on AF360FTZ
Flash display should show P-TTL, correct closest focal length, etc.

If you have already done those and flash does not work properly/consistently then Flash is faulty.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 10-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.
10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure if I have been following that order or not, but I am now. Tonight it is working just fine. This morning I could not get it to work at all, but I may have turned the flash on first, I'm not sure.