Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UV filter for Sigma 15mm Fish Eye

Hello,

I have bought the lens Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fish Eye. It's quite fun. Unfortunately, this lens supports only gelatin filter (the filter will be mounted on the rear element of the lens). It has a builtin hood but it doesn't support any ring to add new filter to front element.

I am looking forwarding to seeing how to support UV filter and ND filter on this lens. Any ideas?

Thank you.

10-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

There aren't many options out there except for adaptor kits. A company named Lucroit makes a kit for the Sigma 8-16mm lens. You may want to contact them and see if they have anything that may fit the fisheye. Most fisheyes, because of the shape of their front element, cannot, by design, accept filters.
Hitech Lucroit Holder System
10-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Given the need to rear mount any filtration, I don't see the need for a UV filter. The sensor cover includes an embedded UV filter. About the only use for a UV filter on a digital camera is front element protection.

Please report back to this thread your ultimate success or failure in finding a ND filter.
10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
There aren't many options out there except for adaptor kits. A company named Lucroit makes a kit for the Sigma 8-16mm lens. You may want to contact them and see if they have anything that may fit the fisheye. Most fisheyes, because of the shape of their front element, cannot, by design, accept filters.
Hitech Lucroit Holder System
Thank you for the information. The system by Hitech Lucroit is so expensive

10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Given the need to rear mount any filtration, I don't see the need for a UV filter. The sensor cover includes an embedded UV filter. About the only use for a UV filter on a digital camera is front element protection.
I agree that using UV filter will protect the front element. This is the first time I've heard that the UV filter is embeded in the sensor. That's very nice information!

QuoteQuote:
Please report back to this thread your ultimate success or failure in finding a ND filter.
I sent an email to Sigma team, and I am waiting for their answer. I will keep you posted. Btw, you may interested in Neutral Density Gelatin Filters for optical industries and research from stock
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
icy

Original Poster
From Sigma support: "The 15mm f2.8 would never be in need of any type of UV inhibiting filter as there is very little to no Haze Compression with a Fisheye lens. Your lens comes with a square template for cutting Gel filters to fit in the rear filter holder already incorporated in the lens."
10-25-2012, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Think of "haze compression" just like you think of photographing through fog. The longer the focal length and farther away the subject, the more the fog defuses the image.

Digital camera sensors can see deeper into both the red (IR) and the blue (UV) wavelengths than the human eye. And what you can't see can affect the photograph. So most digital cameras place both IR and UV filters over the sensor to limit the exposure to the visible light range. An additional UV filter isn't going to increase UV protection.

There is at least one thread in Pentax Forums that shows the difference of cheap UV filters, excellent UV filters and no UV filter over the front optics. I always kept a UV filter over my lenses to both remove UV haze and to protect the front surface. I've done this for close to 30 years. The haze protection may have made sense (especially in the mountains) in my film days. It makes no sense now with digital photography. And when I clearly saw the negative affect of an unnecessary additional optical surface in front of my lens, I stopped using UV filters on my lenses unless I expect to be shooting in poor environmental situations.
10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't generally use a UV filter any more unless I'm in a hostile environment that could cause something to get on the lens. UV protection isn't needed with digital cameras. It doesn't have the effect it had with film. A really good one probably won't hurt image quality but it it may cause additional risk of flare. Using filters on the front of any fisheye lens probably will prove difficult as it will vigenette even if you can find a way mount it. Sigmas rear mount sounds like a good idea. I have the DA 10-17 and I protect the lens by ALWAYS keeping the cap on the lens while carrying the camera. Other than a ND, I can't think of any I might want to use with a fisheye.

05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
Your lens comes with a square template for cutting Gel filters to fit in the rear filter holder already incorporated in the lens."
I figured it was best to keep this thread alive since I have the same situation. I recently picked up a used Sigma 15mm FE and I did not get a square template for cutting filters with mine. Does anybody know the specs of this template? I plan to cut some ND gels myself. I have experimented with cutting paper to guess the size and it's really close to the width of 2.5 lines of college ruled paper

Next experiment was to see if I fit more than one filter inside the slot to achieve the darkness of 9-10stops. I could only fit 3 sheets of paper inside the slot (assuming 2 gels will be thicker) which leaves me with my final problem/question--> I cannot find a single ND gel filter that can be cut with a darkness of at least ND400. ND16 is as dark as I have seen. Any solutions where I'd find such a gel? I really don't want to mount an apparatus on the outside of my lens while hiking to various destinations, seems like it would be difficult to keep clean.