Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Giottos LC244 light stand owners...question for you.

I just received a new Giottos lc244 light stand to start my adventure into off cam flash. My question for you Giottos lc244 owners is about the air cushioning affect of the individual sections on the light stand. This stand has 2 sections that allow it to extend to full height. The top section has what I would consider to be excellent air cushioning. When the stand is loaded with my flash and an umbrella and the top section is extended fully and I let go, it slowly descends at a rate something close to about 2" (+/- "1/2) per second and totally bottoming out in about 7 seconds. The bottom section, when fully extended and let go, bottoms out in about 1 second (+/- .5 seconds). This just does not seem correct or logical to me for the stand to function this way. Would anybody be so kind as to confirm if this is normal for their Lc244 stand to function this way? Thanks in advance

I should mention that after researching a bit I have found a video on youtube of a guy reviewing the Giottos stands and shows the air cushion effect, but unfortunately he only demonstrates this feature on the smaller of the 2 Giottos stands. When he demonstrates, from what I can tell, the stand does provide the air cushioning in all sections of the stand. This def has me thinking that the larger LC244 should be functioning the exact same way...See for yourself. What do you all think?