Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Black box on the corner of the photo.

I recently purchased a K2DMD. On my first roll of film, all the photos have a black box on the corner of the photograph. Please see attached photo. Does anyone know why?

Attached Images

10-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can be of no help, other than to say weird things always happen in cemetery photos.
10-23-2012, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your Data Switch is set to The ON position. When this is on it raises a small shield to block light from reaching the corner of the film. The Data Back then can imprint data on this black box, making it easy to see.

To hide this shield turn the switch to OFF on the bottom of your camera.

I love my K2 DMD. Congratulations on the new acquisition.
10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Your Data Switch is set to The ON position. When this is on it raises a small shield to block light from reaching the corner of the film. The Data Back then can imprint data on this black box, making it easy to see.
WAY better than my answer

10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
WAY better than my answer
I did like your answer though. And who's to say somebody, or something, in the cemetery didn't move the switch to the on position?
10-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
builttospill,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply.
10-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

These little features would be called Easter Eggs if they were on modern devices - like the little shutters in the ESII viewfinder for blocking light though the view finder in long exposures.

Brings a new appreciation for your equipment when you lean about these features and make you wish you had read the manual in the first place.

10-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
These little features would be called Easter Eggs if they were on modern devices - like the little shutters in the ESII viewfinder for blocking light though the view finder in long exposures.

Brings a new appreciation for your equipment when you lean about these features and make you wish you had read the manual in the first place.
Yes, it really does. I'm sure a lot of time was spent designing and engineering these cameras. The K2 DMD also has a shutter blind like the ESII to block light from entering the VF. It's the green square on the mode dial above automatic, jnguyen. You can see the blind close as you move the dial to this position.
10-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really need to find a manual for the K2DMD. Thank you for the important info.
10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There are two manuals used for the K2 DMD. One is the regular K2 manual: http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_K2L.pdf
The other is just an 11 page book explaining the differences between the K2 and the K2 DMD and how to use the extra features: http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_k2_motor_drive.pdf

Personally, I sold my K2 because I didn't like it at all, but the K2 DMD is one of my favorite bodies.