Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

F 35-70 - how to switch to macro ?

just got this lens , but not sure how to get the lens into the macro setting, or maybe this one is not working properly? or maybe 70mm is the macro ? is there a trick to it ? it only seems to want to stay in the A setting or i can use the manual aperture settings, but there's a green line to the left of the 70mm which has 'macro' above the line, but not sure how to move the zoom ring past the 70. ?

10-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that once at 70mm, you can turn the zoom ring further into the macro range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just push it a little harder than normal. It'll sort of "Click" over to macro mode at 70.
10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to the F Lenses Manual. The password is Pentax. The 35~70 Macro function is described on page 22. Adam is correct - you keep turning to the right past the 70mm mark.

10-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok, thank you , guys, i will try it, will look at that manual page too, was afraid to turn it too much ; and thanks for the link .
10-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Set the zoom ring at 35mm. Note the barrel is fully extended. Now twist the zoom ring to 70mm. The lens barrel recedes to minimum. To the left of where it says 70 it says Macro in green. Twist the zoom barrel (it takes a little effort to do this) and the lens barrel will extend some. Under the word Macro is a green line. You can twist the zoom ring within that green line's range while in Macro mode. To exit the Macro mode, twist the zoom ring back to 70mm or below (again it takes a little effort to do this).
10-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What everyone else says. When you're in macro mode, the lens no longer focuses at infinity. Not sure what the precise magnification is - it's nowhere near 1:1, more like 1:3.
10-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies, easy to switch to macro now, once you explained it-- i have one final question(s) : is it best to switch to manual focus in macro on this lens , or leave in autofocus, and is it like one of the quickshift lenses when in macro ? ( i don't want to force the focusing ring if not ) --- this seems like a very good lens so far. thank you again.

10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only DA lenses have the quickshift focus feature. (But you can mimic quickshift with the camera set to AF-S or AF-C by pressing the lens release button with your right pinky. But you didn't hear that from me.) And, of course you can manual focus the lens as long as the focus switch on the camera body is set to MF. As for whether to manually focus or use autofocus, whichever method you choose if it works for you.
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
macro shot

my first macro more or less with the F 35-70mm. at f 4.5 ( maximum i guess at macro for the lens ) taken with k100d super. thanks. ( the zoom ring seems to act as a focusing ring when in macro, even when in AF mode-- is that correct ? )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
my first macro more or less with the F 35-70mm. at f 4.5 ( maximum i guess at macro for the lens ) taken with k100d super. thanks. ( the zoom ring seems to act as a focusing ring when in macro, even when in AF mode-- is that correct ? )
When in macro mode, the zoom ring actually works like a variable length extension tube which of course affects focus. Try to more or less focus the image by rotating the zoom ring and moving the camera back and forth. Once in fairly good focus, let the auto focus system do the precise focusing using the center AF point. That usually nails focusing for me on this lens.
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok, thanks demp10, that sounds good.
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Hello, folks I seem to have a related problem. Bought this lens in a flea shop the other day, and mine seems stuck in macro mode. That is to say, it autofocuses in macro, and when I focus it manually, I get a typical macro range, with infinity somewhere at arms length before the lens. When I move the zoom ring across the macro "hurdle" I get a slight "snap", but it doesn't do anything on the right side - it does not change FOV when I rotate it between 70 and 35. Is it possible to somehow lock macro mode or do I just have to accept that my copy is broken?
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no expert, but it does sound like your copy may be broken. Whether or not it would be cost effective to repair, I don't know. Also, I am not responsible for the contents of this post, as I am recovering from surgery this morning and still under the influence of anesthesia.
02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuaveSuede Quote
... do I just have to accept that my copy is broken?
I think yes.