10-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
ok, thanks

10-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
i tried with SCN MODE Where the camera will set ISO to 6400 but i was worried i will loose the clarity. i will try this setting this sunday and let you know the results. thanks
Yes indeed. Pushing the ISO to 6400 will yield to a less quality image. but in dire situations I bet it's better to have a "less quality image" than a super low quality blurry cellphone image right?
I know that when settings are changed to the following, shooting with jpeg at high ISOs will be much better.
  • Jpeg mode: Portrait with:
    • High/Low key compensation set to -4. You will need to apply about +1Ev compensation to bring the picture back to normal exposure.
    • Fine Sharpness 2 and set to -2.
  • NR medium and start at ISO400
But like I also stated, shoot RAW, and use some sort of noise program that will recover your photo(Or improve the IQ a little bit.)
With that said, I came from a Kr so i know its capabilities. But I did sold mine and got myself a k7, with the k7's limited ISO capabilities, I've learned a lot on what the do's and dont's of low light shooting. People now a days take for granted that they can even get decent results with their cameras at ISO 3200. 5 years ago this would not be possible. (If I want good results with my k7 I would need to stop at iso 400, if I want to push it, I shoot 800, if I really need to, I go over that, but only when I need to.)

Give TAv mode or Av + Auto ISO mode a shot.

What is TAv mode?
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Welcome to PF, Amaruba. Reading the manual isn't a bad idea. However, the prior response didn't answer the question about TAv mode.

TAv is basically fixed shutter & fixed aperture with ISO changed automatically to obtain 'proper' exposure.

Possible use case--you're shooting sports or wildlife with a telephoto lens. You want to keep the shutter speed at 1/500 to freeze motion and reduce the effects of camera shake. You want to set aperture to f/8 for improved depth-of-field and lens performance. You let ISO vary between 100 and 800 (range configurable) to obtain proper exposure because the other two parameters (shutter & aperture) are more important to you.
Me personally, I use Av mode with Auto ISO, I just make sure that I can reach my desired shutter speed w/o compensating ISO that much.

But to be honest, until now I still don't know what you meant by "Good results". Shooting in a poor light environment with the k-r can mean so much, there's also a big probability that the reason you wanted to use a higher F-stop is because your focus is off. With that said, there's a known problem regarding the K-r's hit and miss autofocus under poor lighting conditions, namely the "tungsten bug ". So yes, if your camera's AF is not calibrated with your lens then it will also yield you to horrible photos. But until you show as a sample of what you're shooting at there's no way for us to properly find out what's wrong.

Also I suggest, shooting your camera manually so you have more control over it, knowing how the triangle of exposure works will get you your desired results. Try investing on this Understanding Exposure,3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books Highly regarded and a fun little guide to photography.
10-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Does the K-r have 'Tav' mode? I know my old K-x didn't and its a feature of my K5 that I've found really very useful in lowlight (restaurants etc) situations since upgrading...
10-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Does the K-r have 'Tav' mode? I know my old K-x didn't and its a feature of my K5 that I've found really very useful in lowlight (restaurants etc) situations since upgrading...
Nope, it doesn't have...

10-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hi ajaya,

Another option is to bounce the pop up flash. I realize that this flash isn't very powerful, but in combination with higher ISO, it can certainly be adequate. I use the Demb Pop Up Flipit for parties and family get-togethers, and it works very well.

Demb Flash Products - Demb Pop-up Flip-it! Flash Reflector

It's probably not easily available to your location, but the principle is pretty simple, so a Do-It-Yourself variation would not be that hard to put together. It uses an acrylic mirror situated in front of the popup flash at @ 45 to bounce the flash straight up. The adjustable white card to the rear of the flash then bounces some of this light straight forward for a soft direct fill. By varying the angle of the white bounce card, you can adjust the amount of direct bounced light from 100% to 0%.

You can try this for virtually nothing by fabricating a reflector from aluminum foil for the front reflector and an index card in back. Use tape of rubber bands to hold these to the flash, but be gentle, it's not meant to be torqued very much. Use your flash shoe cover or a piece of tape to insulate the contacts of your flash shoe if you do this so the foil has no chance of contacting them.

If this looks like it will work for you, then you can make a more permanent version with polished aluminum flashing or a piece of acrylic mirror for the front reflector. . . or you could glue the aluminum foil to a thick card or piece of plastic.

Use a fixed ISO, Manual Mode with shutter at 1/180. Start at the lowest ISO and raise it if the bounced light is insufficient. You should be able to get good results at less than ISO 400, I would think, unless you have very high or dark colored ceilings.

Scott