Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
batterys

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi I,M Sue and joined today i have a pentax K100 Super its a lovely camera,but sometimes,and always at a important shoot,i put new batteries in,and it takes a few pics,then keeps saying battery depleted,if i touch the shoot button it will take a couple more pics,then repeats bettery depleted
and then another time i have no problems at all
Sue

10-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, Welcome to the forum Sue.

Some of the early Pentax DSLRs have "issues" with batteries. Usually, the easiest cure is to use Eneloop rechargeables.
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eneloops are the best batteries you can get!

Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH 4-Pack with AC Charger SEC-MQN064N B&H
10-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some types of batteries just cannot deliver the current flow required in the camera. As noted above get a set of Eneloops and problem is solved.

There is also the remote possibility that there is some corrosion on the battery contacts in the camera. These can be cleaned quite easily if that is the case. This is unlikely but possible. Most likely the batteries.

10-26-2012, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if the Sanyo Eneloops do not cut it, there is always the ultimate battery.
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never had much luck with rechargeable AAs. Even Eneloops don't last all that long in my K-x. But Energizer Lithiums last hundreds of shots.
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Sounds more like a battery compartment contact issue.

Do you have a Way to meter (multimeter) the batteries after the camera tells you they are low?

Try cleaning the contacts gently with a rubber eraser. Hold the camera so whatever dirt dislodges falls out.

10-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Do you have a Way to meter (multimeter) the batteries after the camera tells you they are low?
Good idea but in practice it will not reveal much. OP would have to put them in a simulated load-bank, then measure, in order to tell how they actually looked to the camera voltage sensing circuit.
10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Well if they are as low as the camera's meter suggests then they are simply toast no?
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once had the same problem with my Pentax Kx. I just couldn't keep the batteries "charged". I tried different manufacturers and more often than not the batteries seemed to be discharged but they did keep running. I contacted Pentax and they emailed me a software update for my camera. I was afraid to try to install it in case I messed up my camera. In the meantime, I got dust from a sandstorm in the dial on top of the camera and sent it to Pentax for cleaning. I never had a problem with my batteries after that. I think Pentax must have upgraded the camera's software. In short, I think my camera was indicating that the battery was low when, in fact, it wasn't. Why don't you call Pentax and talk to them.
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Well if they are as low as the camera's meter suggests then they are simply toast no?
Yes, if the camera is reading them correctly. If there is a problem with the voltage detect circuit, the it all goes to hell.

Measuring the batteries with a high input-impedance multi-meter, will not really tell you much about how they will behave under load.
Just the way it is.
Just like having to do a load bank test on your car battery, in order to determine if it can crank over the engine and not just power up the stereo.
10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Invest in a good Charger and by far the best charger is the " Maha Powerex".

Powerex MH C9000 Battery Charger Analyzer Tester NiMH NiCd AA AAA Maha Energy | eBay

This charger charges and analyses every battery you put in separately to get the best from it.

Many a troublesome battery I thought had come to its end I have been able to bring back to live with this Charger. It has a raft settings of dealing with every battery differently according to its condition charging them as required, which will prolong the live of the battery.

Have a look at the User Manual of this charger and you will get the idea what is involved.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/download/mhc9000.pdf

I can highly recommend this one.

Greetings