Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-M focus confirmation bypass

I thought I'd found the way to disable this before but I can't seem to find it now. Is there a way to bypass the autofocus if it gets "jammed" is there something I can change in the menu that will let it fire even if it thinks the auto-focus isn't right? Totally lost a couple of great shots at tonights hockey game when the lens appeared to be in focus (or at least close enough at the time) but when pressed wouldn't fire because it didn't think it was in focus. I suppose I could have quick flicked the manual switch down, but I only had a half second to think about it.
I seem to remember that there is a setting you can change somewhere that lets it fire anyway..but I can't for the life of me remember it.

10-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the k-m, so not 100% if this is correct. If you set the shooting mode to AF-C instead of AF-S, it will trip the shutter even if it is without focus confirmation.

OTOH, be warned, you will get a lot of out-of-focus shots...
10-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a setting for focus priority release priority for AF-S/ -C in the K-r menu C tab 2 item 10 and 11.
10-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dont see anything like that on the K-M menu.

10-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-m, but you can check out the manual and just press ctrl+f to search the document for focus priority:
www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-m.pdf
I can't do it right now because i am on a slow connection.
10-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
downloaded that, focus priority returns no results in the manual. Maybe it can't do it...
10-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look for a way to program one of the rear buttons to temporarily cancel AF. On my K200D, it's the OK button that can be programmed to do that, via one of the custom functions.

10-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
downloaded that, focus priority returns no results in the manual. Maybe it can't do it...
Yes, it can, if you have the AF button set up for it. In the [Custom Setting 2] menu, there's [9. AF Button Function]. If you choose [3. Cancel AF], the next time AF fails, you can press the AF button, then the shutter will fire whenever you press it. I don't have a K-m for testing but when the K-7 AF button is set to [Cancel AF], that's how it works.

The manual is not entirely clear on this topic. Page 110 mentions changing the settings for the AF button. I don't see any menu option like the K-r has to shut off the focus priority. On my DS, I got a lot of practice flipping the AF-MF switch to MF, and that would have done the job too.
10-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use to have the same problem I missed shots that apeared to be in focus but the camera would not fire. It was suggested to move the AF to a rear button. On the DL it is the OK button. I did and haven't missed a shot since. I do get a few that are out of focus ,but not that many. They are usually when my head is somewhere else and I forget to hit the ok button to focus.I
10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Yes, it can, if you have the AF button set up for it. In the [Custom Setting 2] menu, there's [9. AF Button Function]. If you choose [3. Cancel AF], the next time AF fails, you can press the AF button, then the shutter will fire whenever you press it. I don't have a K-m for testing but when the K-7 AF button is set to [Cancel AF], that's how it works.

The manual is not entirely clear on this topic. Page 110 mentions changing the settings for the AF button. I don't see any menu option like the K-r has to shut off the focus priority. On my DS, I got a lot of practice flipping the AF-MF switch to MF, and that would have done the job too.
Ah-ha! thanks. That did it. I just have to train myself to remember to hit that button to force a shot. I was so mad about one shot I missed last night. Hopefully I'll get some good ones tonight.