Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Pentax P30 - Wind Lever Problem.

Hi I picked up a Pentax P30 not too long ago from a camera fair and have just decided to give a test run. I popped some batteries in it earlier today and wound back the lever and pressed the shutter release button. It clicked but only once and now when I look through the viewfinder it's all black, except for a flashing M, number (dependent on what shutter speed it's on) and the number 1.

I've never used it before and it didn't have film in it. I was just wondering if anyone knows what going on or could help me?!

Thank you!

10-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the mirror is stuck or the shutter is stuck which will keep the mirror from returning.
If you remove lens, can you see the shutter?
If so, very gently, using a fingernail on the edge of the mirror, pull it downwards. If it moves freely, it's probably a shutter issue. If it feels stuck/sticking, it could be that the mirror has stuck to deteiorated mirror bumper foam.
Do not touch the reflective surface of the mirror or the focusing screen.
10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may also have some luck taking off the bottom plate, I think only three screws. It gives you access to some of the mechanisms for cocking and firing. I have photos I took of a P3n for a different problem - the winding lever would not cock the shutter. Maybe not that helpful for your problem.

10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for replying!

Swift1 - It moves freely, so is there anyway I could sort this out without taking it to a repair shop?