Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

"what will you do with your pictures?"

I've only had my first DSLR for a month or so. I was telling a friend/coworker that I just bought a camera, and his first comment was "What do you plan to do with your pictures?" I was a little taken aback. What a short sighted question to ask. I mean, my wife is Chinese, and I often travel to China. I live in BC, near some of the most beautiful lakes and mountains in the world (in my opinion). He knows this.

I plan to show my friends and family the cool places I visit, obviously. It's a hobby. One I take a lot of pleasure from. I don't plan to become a professional photographer any time soon, but who can predict the future? I'm having fun learning, and it gets me out of my comfort zone more often than not.

So, what about you guys? What do you do with your pictures? Maybe enter some contests? Maybe you shoot for a magazine or website. I'm interested, and now, maybe a little more motivated, thanks to my friend's off the cuff comment.

10-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take pictures because I enjoy taking pictures and enjoy viewing them afterwards. Being a parent of young child(ren) means that I'm also preserving memories. I have taken many more pictures than I've printed. I have never entered any contests because in my experience, most of those tend to be won by people who do wild and crazy things to their photos, whereas I'm mostly interested in adjusting colors and exposure. I post many of my pictures on Facebook and people seem to enjoy what I put up.
10-28-2012, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by npridgeon Quote
"what will you do with your pictures?"
For me it's my living, but here's a thought for you.

Print some of your favourite images in a large size and hang them on the wall.

It's a great way to get real satisfaction from your own efforts.
10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by npridgeon Quote
Maybe enter some contests
The enter the contest something is an item that I would rarely do on any level. Most contests are simply ways to gather wotk of photographers for free. The person and/or organization that gather the photos for any so called competition also "somehow magically" typically gathers the rights to use them in a manner they should deal.

Here is a version of a release from a somewhat credible contest... But still one losses the right to the pic forever - if the sponsor deems that you have won. Consider the price of the prize versus what one could have received for the pic in other means.

Rules - National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 - National Geographic Magazine

Typically even entering any photo contest usually gives release to any and all pics entered. In which case you are giving away ones "better than average work" for free.

10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For me it's a few things.

My reasons for taking the pictures are mainly that it's a good calming hobby for me.
And that I also like to be able to express myself in an artistic manner.

As for the pictures, the digital images I tend to upload to my Flickr account and then post here for comments/criticism.
Film ones I have prints made and tend to have them on display in the house (I've got a photo-mobile hanging from a light, and have framed a few)

My girlfriend and I are in the process of renting a house, when we finally get one I'll be designating a wall to my photos so I can just keep rotating the collection as I take and print them.
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have bad memory and take pictures so I can view the albums and remember the happenings of that event.

It's literally my memory, for some things.
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I too am a hobbyist. I Take the photo's for various reasons. Mostly because I enjoy it. I print and frame some and they decorate my house. That way I get to enjoy them more.
10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I take picture because I can. My health is disappearing faster than I can control it and my mobility is going with it. My pain levels are often high and my photography is a wonderful distraction. It allows me to get away from the pain both while I take them and when I look at images afterwards. Quite honestly photography is my escape hatch.

I post them on Facebook, play games here, use them for greeting cards, have had them made onto china Christmas ornaments, display them in my digital photo frames, wallpaper my iPad and iPhone etc.

10-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I take pictures because its fun and helps keeps my mind creative. The fact that I tend to wind up going for extended walks while in the process of shooting is a bonus - I credit my hobby with helping me shed about 40 pounds over the past three years..
10-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is difficult to explain to someone who is not similarly addicted. Sort of like trying explain owning $1,000s in camera gear to someone who is happy taking snapshots with a $99.00 pocket special. For me - and, I think many of us - photography is a process, an activity that I enjoy. The pictures are the by-product but the activity is what I enjoy. The little finagling to get just the right composition, the right exposure, the glint on the water, the perfectly focused subject against the nicely blurred background, that sort of thing. I don't share the vast majority of my images but the good ones I do share on facebook or email and a few get printed for my walls or to give as gifts. I have been told that several friends and relatives wait for an email from me to add new pictures to their computer wallpaper file.

Making nice images gives me pleasure. It doesn't really matter what I DO with them after the fact. If a few bring pleasure to others, that is just gravy and adds to my pleasure.
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, I haven't figured out what to do with my photos. I post some of the better ones to my Smugmug Some (travel pics, the high school team sports, event shots) have a audience (a lot of my sports shots get posted to FB, I understand) and I post some here on PF but that's about it. I rarely rarely print. Still, I keep shooting--it's what I do.
11-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #12

Its a great question! For me, photography is a hobby and as others have said, it gets me out of the house. I'm getting to the stage where I'm starting to want to print more - I gave away some as birthday presents this year and (most!) were well received. Not interested in competitions really, unless its a 'just your camera, no post' type one. It kind of bugs me that when you see 'photograph of the year', you know that they didn't take that shot - a lot is done afterwards. I just want the best picture from my camera, time is too precious to spend it in front of a computer screen! That said, I have just cleaned up a shot of mine using PS and am happy with the results, so I can see why people like it. It's just not for me, most of the time. So to answer the question, I take photos for me primarily.
11-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Truthfully, most photos never have much audience, so it is not as silly a question as you think.

How many family vacation snaps sit in some album that were only logked at perhaps as they were put there - all 47 shots of the same turkey dinner?

In the digital age, it is easier to share, but someone still needs to look.

The camera gets me out of the house. The images are mostly for my enjoyment.
11-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The enter the contest something is an item that I would rarely do on any level. Most contests are simply ways to gather wotk of photographers for free. The person and/or organization that gather the photos for any so called competition also "somehow magically" typically gathers the rights to use them in a manner they should deal.

Here is a version of a release from a somewhat credible contest... But still one losses the right to the pic forever - if the sponsor deems that you have won. Consider the price of the prize versus what one could have received for the pic in other means.

Rules - National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 - National Geographic Magazine

Typically even entering any photo contest usually gives release to any and all pics entered. In which case you are giving away ones "better than average work" for free.
I couldn't agree more with your comments about contests.

When I started (re-started) photography a few years back , I was so confident that some of my pictures were worth entering a contest that I submitted quite a few but, of course, never won a thing.
One "outfit" in particular, a well known and respected magazine, started to post some of my photos in their subsequent monthly issues .... I never knew about it until one day my aunt came rushing at my place and showed me a photo of a weasel I had taken during the winter.
I had no idea that this had been published. There were no mention of the author (me) either.
I contacted them with a "threat" of copyright breach .... bla, bla, bla .... they finally added my name under the following images over a period of time.

Obviously, they used the many photos I had submitted for their "image bank", without having to worry much about any form of compensation whatsoever.

That was the end of it for me: no more contests.

I put my keepers in two different websites for the general public to see. I don't really care if someone takes some of my pics for their personal browsing as long as they (?) give credit where credit is due.

I have made a few prints for friends and family. I am thinking of having some of my best ones printed to a larger size and keep them for myself .... if I ever get tired of seeing them on my wall, I can always give them away as gifts.

JP
11-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For me its a hobby that gives me an excuse to spend money on myself, not that that's ever been much of a problem but now I can "justify" doing it.
As far as showing my photo's, I have posted a couple for citique when I was pleased with what I had achieved and wanted to know if others felt the same way, others I have posted if I thought someone else might be interested (usually in the subject rather than the photo).
Travel shots I share the keepers with anyone I'm travelling with, and they all scroll through as screensavers on my computer and remind me of places we have been or things that have happened.
Ian