Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

sd card affects image quality ?

does it matter which sd card to use as regards image quality? is one better than another ?

10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No ! It makes no difference from a quality perspective
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not in terms of IQ, but slower cards means you get a worse continuous shooting framerate. A class 10 or 45Mb/s card should be good enough, as the Pentax K-5 can't write any faster.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
does it matter which sd card to use as regards image quality? is one better than another ?
As far as I know, and after having used all brands of SD cards, I'd say there is no difference in "quality" of the rendered images.

I have, however, had some problems with some brands of SD cards which resulted in lost images, corrupted files ... that sort of thing.

I now stick with Sandisk cards.

JP

I replied to this when I saw there were no replies only to find out there were 2 already when I posted it.

10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've never heard that it does and don't know how it could. The choices are more about reliability and speed. It will make a difference if your card is unreliable, or so slow you have to wait for it to write.
10-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The only thing that really counts with memory cards is how well they are made - 3rd party memory cards are often slapped together with outdated parts and often have fragile construction. Sandisk and Lexar are the two makers I am most familiar with and I have had no problems whatsoever with their products.
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok thank you. how about one of those eye-fi cards, do any of you use them , and can the image quality be as good if the image is wirelessly transferred through the air somehow ? am i better to stick to a regular-type wired card ?
10-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ok thank you. how about one of those eye-fi cards, do any of you use them , and can the image quality be as good if the image is wirelessly transferred through the air somehow ? am i better to stick to a regular-type wired card ?
Yes, it's digital. Generally with digital techniques you get a perfect result (everything as it should) or failed (corrupted) due to something wrong with the data. There generally is no in-between.

10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had the first version of the Eye-fi card, which worked fine but is outdated now - too small and too slow. I recently got the Pro X2 model, 8Gb SDHC and class 6. It can transfer JPGs, RAW and I think video. It also works fine for me. The card stores files the same way any card does, but also transmits a copy to a wireless network (easy setup) or even directly to a laptop (more involved). If you are always in range of a wireless network, it can be a seamless backup in several locations in near-real-time without changing any of your shooting habits. Just shoot away and a copy of your images ends up somewhere else.

I'd look at the Eye-Fi web site for more information on the exact process and different card models. Some users have specific requirements that the card just doesn't do. I got mine as a cool toy so I don't care if it's sometimes slow or not the best for video or whatever. My only problem is the range of the card isn't always that good.
10-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are confusing chemical based film with electronic based storage media. Film is analog and SD cards are digital.

In the digital world you have two states ON and OFF. In terms of digital media this equates to two conditions, either it works or it doesn't. There really isn't an in between. If it works you will store the same image IQ; period. If it doesn't work you won't store any image.

If the card works, as Adam and others have indicated, there are only two considerations when choosing a SD card - reliability and write speed. Reliability is also pretty much an ON/OFF thing. There is no slow degradation of function. The card works one time, and then doesn't work anymore. And finally write speed- this is the ONLY item that has a scale. Current SD cards are graded by 'class'; the bigger the number, the faster the camera can store your image on the card - again, not the QUALITY of the image, but just how long you have to wait for your camera to take the next picture. Think of 'class' as 'film auto-winder' speed.

Eye-Fi cards are, to be simplistic, a SD card with a built-in short range Wi-Fi transceiver. The biggest difference between various model Eye-Fi cards is capacity and write speed (expressed again as 'class').