Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens Hood Question

I recently purchased a 28mm Sigma Mini Wide II, since it had a PKA mount, it is worth the $4.00. After reading the reviews in the lens review database, the majority of comments mentioned this lens needs a hood. So, my question is what type of hood is best ?

10-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up a few used metal hoods that screw into the filter threads. I have an U/W 49mm thread, a Normail 49mm thread, and 52mm thread, and also telephoto 49mm thread. You will find that the 28 on crop will not vignette very easily - as the APS-C FoV is similar to a 40mm or Normal focal length on 35mm film. Granted I payed a buck more for the hood than you did for the lens, but $5 is pretty palletable, and being filter threaded, they can work in various situations. Good luck! And have fun with the 28mm, its a great focal length.
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original hood is designed for the field of view you'd get on a film camera. On a DSLR, you can use a longer hood, which will work better than the original hood. I have the original hood for the Sigma 24mm f2.8 SuperWide II, and it has no special advantages like bayonet mounting, reverse storage or polarizer window. So you can look at any unbranded hood that screws into the lens's 52mm filter ring.

You can test for the depth of hood you can use by wrapping some cardboard or opaque paper around the lens and extending it until you start to see dark corners in an image. Then try to find a hood that is that length or slightly less.

There's also the convenience issue. Will you want to reverse the hood so the lens fits in your bag, or leave it on all the time? There are hoods that integrate a cap, etc. I usually live with a cheap solution for a while before deciding what the permanent solution should be.
10-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I usually live with a cheap solution for a while before deciding what the permanent solution should be.
I have accumulated a lot of random filters, mostly cheap and useless ones. One day I removed the glass from about a dozen 52mm filters I had, I decided this would be a good way to figure out hood lengths for all of my 49 and 52mm thread lenses so I could buy hoods for them. That was over a year ago, I still carry around a stack of empty filters to use as a hood. I'm not sure if I'm indecisive or just really cheap, but really it is a fairly convenient solution for me and it was free.