Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
This subject of focal ratios can get complicated, especially when you have a lens that doesn't fit the normal definition. In a reversed telephoto design (wide angle) one can have as an example, a 45mm wide lens (medium format) with an entrance pupil of 60mm. The focal ratio would appear to be f/.75. However, the lens is given an f/4 by Pentax. The reason for this slower designation is because of the design. Most of the front elements are negative and therefore cause the light rays to diverge. This causes much of the light to be lost into the lens baffling and not reach the film /sensor.
The point is, that there is a diameter restriction somewhere in the lens, that determines the maximum opening. I agree when going to wide angle practical lens designs have a reverse telephoto effect, but that does not change the fundamental principle. Focal length over diameter is F number. It is only a question of knowing the true optical diameter.

10-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
We should actually call it the F ratio instead of number, maybe idea to start that as of today?
I learned photography in the early 1960s, and never heard the term "f-number" - it was always "f-stop" or "aperture." The f-stop fits with the instructions to reduce exposure by closing the lens "1 or 2 stops" - back when lenses had aperture rings. Most lenses had "half-stops" or clicks between the marked f-stops. The Zeiss lenses I have for my Leica now have 1/3 stops between full stops.

The term "f number" appears to have come in with more automatic cameras. The Pentax LX manual refered to f-stops, while the ME Super manual mentions f number.

Now that most people use cameras without aperture rings, I guess the f-stop terminology doesn't relate to a tangible control the way it used to.
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The point is, that there is a diameter restriction somewhere in the lens, that determines the maximum opening. I agree when going to wide angle practical lens designs have a reverse telephoto effect, but that does not change the fundamental principle. Focal length over diameter is F number. It is only a question of knowing the true optical diameter.
effective aperture is better then pupil entrance, that takes into account the difference in lens design.
10-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I learned photography in the early 1960s, and never heard the term "f-number" - it was always "f-stop" or "aperture."
Aperture is something else then f-stop.
Aperture is really just the opening, where as the f-stop is a value.

Aperture off 4 does not exist but f/4 does for example and the aperture can also be 2 centimeter or an inch.

stops, numbers, ratio are all about values so not a real differences there.
I understand your story and i believe it's quite plausible

10-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

effective aperture is better then pupil entrance, that takes into account the difference in lens design.
Agreed for retrofocus lenses, i.e. those who's focal length is roughly less than the regestry distance,. but pupil diameter works just fine above 50mm
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
What lens/camera was used for those newspaper crops? How far away was the lense from the newspaper? How big an area was cropped? Even at f2.8, a good lens should be a whole lot crisper than that at the edges.
It's a K-7, 28mm, the corner (not the edge), about 9 feet away, and a 100% crop, so something like 125 pixels wide for each aperture. I am not 100% sure which lens that was, I just picked one with a nice progression from fuzzy to sharper. I definitely have lenses that are worse than that.
11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Agreed for retrofocus lenses, i.e. those who's focal length is roughly less than the regestry distance,. but pupil diameter works just fine above 50mm
Not too fast, just the pupil is not correct, we are talking about the entrance pupil. I'm not sure but with retro focus is then the exit pupil used?

11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not too fast, just the pupil is not correct, we are talking about the entrance pupil. I'm not sure but with retro focus is then the exit pupil used?
you are misreading my comment. I explicitly stated that above 50mm (i.e. non retro focus lenses) the entrance pupil works fine.

I agree it may not apply in retrofocus lenses, but, when dealing with telephotos, in all 30 years of photography, I have NEVER seen a telephoto that had a bigger front element than was dictated by what was needed to get the specified maximum aperture..

note that there is simply no need to have a retrofocusing lens when the focal length is above the system regestry distance, and why would you place extra elements, all of which have transmission losses and contrast reducing flare (regardless of how good the coatings are) when you don't need it.
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The speed of a retro focus/reverse telephoto is determined by its entrance pupil. When looking in the front of the lens, the aperture appears smaller than its physical size due to the demagnifying effect of the negative lens group in front of the diaphragm. This apparent size (entrance pupil) is used to divide into the focal length to determine the speed or focal ratio. This reduction in aperture size relates to what I said above, in that, light is lost due to the negative front group causing light to diverge.
11-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

you are misreading my comment. I explicitly stated that above 50mm (i.e. non retro focus lenses) the entrance pupil works fine.

I agree it may not apply in retrofocus lenses, but, when dealing with telephotos, in all 30 years of photography, I have NEVER seen a telephoto that had a bigger front element than was dictated by what was needed to get the specified maximum aperture..

note that there is simply no need to have a retrofocusing lens when the focal length is above the system regestry distance, and why would you place extra elements, all of which have transmission losses and contrast reducing flare (regardless of how good the coatings are) when you don't need it.
Nope you're misreading mine.

You're talking about the pupil but that's not fully correct, it must be the entrance pupil, slight but important difference.
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
The speed of a retro focus/reverse telephoto is determined by its entrance pupil. When looking in the front of the lens, the aperture appears smaller than its physical size due to the demagnifying effect of the negative lens group in front of the diaphragm. This apparent size (entrance pupil) is used to divide into the focal length to determine the speed or focal ratio. This reduction in aperture size relates to what I said above, in that, light is lost due to the negative front group causing light to diverge.
Thanks.

I was thinking that since it is a reverse design that the exit pupil might be used, seemed logical