Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Battery life while filming with PENTAX K-X

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I hope I am making this thread on the right section of the forum.

I bought a Pentax K-X for indie film-making, and although I like the camera a lot so far, the battery life while recording video is just tragic!

Using lithium non rechargeable batteries I could shoot for 30-35 minutes straight and with non lithium non rechargeable batteries I could film for near a minute before the camera turned off due to low battery!

Is this normal for the Pentax K-X to drain the batteries so quickly?

10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing to be sure of, no matter what batteries you have in your K-x they're gonna go fast when shooting video.

Asking the simplest question first, do you have the latest firmware? Earlier versions had a slight problem with the battery metering which would shut the camera off prematurely.
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a set of Eneloops I was able to shoot about 15 mins of video before the battery indicator went to orange. The longest clip was 6 1/2 minutes. The heat warning came on towards the end of the long clip and didn't go away.
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
dmeadows85, that is possible. Can you please spare a moment and tell me how to update the firmware?

Cheers.

10-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IoannisP Quote
Can you please spare a moment and tell me how to update the firmware?

Cheers.
This should help...
Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA
10-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
That would do it! Let us all know if it works for ya, loannisP.
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Eneloops like boriscleto suggests are worth looking into, along with a good eneloop charger.

A few clever folks have kludged together external battery packs and battery grips for the K-x. You can search the forum for some of those under terms like 'K-x battery grip'.

The ultimate solution to shooting the K-x for video is, of course, the Pentax K-x AC-adapter kit K-AC84.

Steps like using an external LCD monitor from Lilliput or someone may also be useful in reducing camera battery consumption, and perhaps reduce camera body heat too.

11-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I bought a Pentax K-X for indie film-making,
I have to ask, why did you get a DSLR for film making instead of a dedicated video camera that should do a much better job at strictly video?

My K-x seemed to do a decent job of video, but not what I would consider publication quality, audio is not stereo, or great quality, and heat is a major issue if you keep the LCD on for a long time, and it's always on when doing video.

I hate to be the party crasher here but all things considered, I think the K-x as a video camera is not a good choice and not an appropriate solution for a video camera. It's a great still camera, and does a pretty decent job of short videos if I don't have to have top notch video, but it seems for what you're doing a dedicated video camera should be in your hands, not a DSLR of any make or model. DSLRs are just not made for serious video work.
11-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
not a DSLR of any make or model. DSLRs are just not made for serious video work.
Just curious as to your thoughts on the 5D Mark II & 7D for video. As I heard they were used on the set of The Avengers a film that relied heavy on video quality.
11-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Non rechargeable batteries are never good for cameras, they are something to be used only in 'emergencies' and will typically perform very poorly if at all in demanding situations, such as flash, live view, high speed shooting and especially video. (Photo Lithium non rechargeable batteries are of course the exception and are perfectly good in all situations)

Even non-lithium rechargeable batteries can be troublesome. Some work very well, other less so. I only use Eneloop rechargeables and the genuine Pentax Lithium batteries. I have tried several other rechargeable NiMh but haven;t yet come across a type that works reliably.
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I really don't get why you'd want to use a K-x for filming anything longer than 10 minutes. It's not made to be a video camera. That function is for short clips. The K-x is a still camera not a video cam and by the nature of what it's made for using it for video will have it's limitations. If you're going to make longer videos, real movies, you really need a proper video cam or you'll just blow that camera up before long. It's not made for that. Using a DSLR for video all the time will really stress it out. A 10 minute You Tube clip, sure. Anything more than that is expecting a bit much from it, I think. No offense, it's just that I think people expect too much from the video function on DSLR's.
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I really don't get why you'd want to use a K-x for filming anything longer than 10 minutes. It's not made to be a video camera.
There have been some great, high-quality videos shot with the K-x. Look in the Video section of this forum.

But only the most inexperienced shooters would shoot one 10 minute long continuous take, with any camera, be it a Red, a 5D2 or a K-x. An average music video for example (of which there have been many shot with the K-x) probably is only about 3 minutes long, but may include over 30 video takes, dozens of edits, and many hours of audio and video post-production. The K-x can work fine within that sort of production process, and has in the past.

But yeah, for general consumer video, folks would be better advised to just get a dedicated video cam from JVC, Canon, Panasonic or Sony.
01-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by IoannisP Quote
Hello everyone,

I am new here and I hope I am making this thread on the right section of the forum.

I bought a Pentax K-X for indie film-making, and although I like the camera a lot so far, the battery life while recording video is just tragic!

Using lithium non rechargeable batteries I could shoot for 30-35 minutes straight and with non lithium non rechargeable batteries I could film for near a minute before the camera turned off due to low battery!

Is this normal for the Pentax K-X to drain the batteries so quickly?
Hi, Although the K-X battery problem is well known, I have successfully videoed a complet wedding (over 1 hour recorded) and at least 50 stills on one set of Energiser lithiums. On another occasion I got an OVERHEAT warning and the camera switched off after about an hours use (small video clips and stills). Because I don't like spending on disposible batteries (Lithiums @ £6.00 x 4) I am at the moment toying with fitting/modifying a Canon battery grip for use with rechargeable lithiums and 6 (5) AAs. If succsessful I will post results/pictures.

Last edited by Scorpion; 01-16-2013 at 05:08 AM.
01-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I really don't get why you'd want to use a K-x for filming anything longer than 10 minutes. It's not made to be a video camera. That function is for short clips. The K-x is a still camera not a video cam and by the nature of what it's made for using it for video will have it's limitations. If you're going to make longer videos, real movies, you really need a proper video cam or you'll just blow that camera up before long. It's not made for that. Using a DSLR for video all the time will really stress it out. A 10 minute You Tube clip, sure. Anything more than that is expecting a bit much from it, I think. No offense, it's just that I think people expect too much from the video function on DSLR's.
I was asked at a friend's son's wedding if I would shoot the ceremony. In the event I managed to get almost everything including ceremony, speeches, receiving line first dance etc - over an hour of video. I have edited this and burned DVDs for the happy couple. They were delighted. Had I planned to shoot the whole wedding, I would have used a dedicated camcorder. As it was, my K-X did a great job, and I was able to take stills in between takes.