Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Alternatives to C.R.I.S. For Pentax Repairs?

I'm looking for an alternative to CRIS for pentax equipment repair, specifically modern lenses and DSLR bodies. Some place on the east coast would be nice.

CRIS is all the way in the far depths of Arizona, which is about as physically distant from me as possible short of being on a different continent. They ALWAYS ship things UPS, which ends up being unbearably slow or unbearably expensive (typically 1+ week or $40+ shipping, depending on which way I want to be raped). And having to wait until 11:30am most of the year to be able to call them really sucks (10:30am in winter).

Also, not impressed with their service. No online forms you can fill out. No notification when they receive your gear, just an eventual email with an estimate which could take weeks to be sent. No online payment system, you have to call and give them a credit card number (what is this, the 80's?). No mention of what the shipping cost will be, it's just a random amount that gets added to the estimate.

They do good enough work, and they're contracted by Pentax so they have access to all the latest repair equipment and replacement parts, but after the last 2 lenses I had them repair, I'm looking for someone else to do business with. Dealing with CRIS is just unpleasant. Especially considering how expensive it is to have this gear repaired.

10-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With you there.
Would really be nice to have a service center somewhere on the east coast.
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I talked to a couple places a while back that have good reputations and do repairs of the older equipment, but they all say that only CRIS has the proper Pentax test equipment (and is too expensive for them to get given the small market share). You might have a chance getting a lens adjustment elsewhere, but a Pentax DSLR body -- nobody else will touch it and if they do it is a good bet they shouldn't be...
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A quick Google search did reveal Precision Camera in Connecticut, which claims to be an authorized Pentax repair facility. However I've never heard of anyone who's dealt with them, so I was hoping to get some first-hand feedback from someone who has. Or someone who's dealt with anyone else for that matter.

10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
has the proper Pentax test equipment (and is too expensive for them to get given the small market share).
That is it in a nutshell.
If you do not have the MFG. backing, you are out of luck. So, Pentax needs to sponsor more factory trained repair facilities. Good luck with that
10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
A quick Google search did reveal Precision Camera in Connecticut, which claims to be an authorized Pentax repair facility. However I've never heard of anyone who's dealt with them, so I was hoping to get some first-hand feedback from someone who has. Or someone who's dealt with anyone else for that matter.
There used to be more. I'm assuming that is just outdated, or only applies to a limited class of products.
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, not impressed with their service. No online forms you can fill out. No notification when they receive your gear, just an eventual email with an estimate which could take weeks to be sent. No online payment system, you have to call and give them a credit card number (what is this, the 80's?). No mention of what the shipping cost will be, it's just a random amount that gets added to the estimate.
Their forms and credit card system is all online, I've used it three times. I have had call them, however, to give them the go-ahead on repairs, though.

10-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try KEH repair

I'm looking for an alternative to CRIS for pentax equipment repair, specifically modern lenses and DSLR bodies. Some place on the east coast would be nice.

CRIS is all the way in the far depths of Arizona, which is about as physically distant from me as possible short of being on a different continent. They ALWAYS ship things UPS, which ends up being unbearably slow or unbearably expensive (typically 1+ week or $40+ shipping, depending on which way I want to be raped). And having to wait until 11:30am most of the year to be able to call them really sucks (10:30am in winter).

They do good enough work, and they're contracted by Pentax so they have access to all the latest repair equipment and replacement parts, but after the last 2 lenses I had them repair, I'm looking for someone else to do business with. Dealing with CRIS is just unpleasant. Especially considering how expensive it is to have this gear repaired.
I'm not sure about repair under the warranty, though. They fixed once Sigma 100-300/4 for me, but gave up on the Sigma 400/5.6 Telemacro AF fix. However, they charged nothing for the latter. Their prices are very reasonable too.
10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Their forms and credit card system is all online, I've used it three times. I have had call them, however, to give them the go-ahead on repairs, though.
Please point out an online Pentax repair form at criscam.com, the only one I found was a form that needs to be printed and filled out by hand.

(I realize there's an online form to initiate the estimating process, but when I used it, I got an email back pointing me to the printable form that I had to fill out manually instead, and none of the info I provided in that online form was ever used)

Also, once I received a repair estimate via email (2 weeks after they got my lenses), it clearly stated that I had to call and provide payment info by phone or snail mail. There was no way to authorize and pay for the repairs online.

Last edited by GoremanX; 10-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.
10-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I'm not sure about repair under the warranty, though. They fixed once Sigma 100-300/4 for me, but gave up on the Sigma 400/5.6 Telemacro AF fix. However, they charged nothing for the latter. Their prices are very reasonable too.
Interesting, didn't realize KEH did repairs too. Might be worth looking into next time I need work done. Their prices seem very reasonable.
10-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Who does MACK use for there warranty repairs?
01-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #12

I know this thread is about 3mo old, but I'm new to the forum here and thought I'd offer a little of my own experience. I had to have a Pentax Optio S1 repaired earlier this year under warranty, and I sent it to:

QuoteQuote:
Camera Repair Japan
3435 Breckinridge Blvd, Ste. 130
Duluth, GA
770-935-9771
Nice folks to deal with, generally speaking. My camera apparently needed a replacement lens. Parts shipped relatively quickly and the camera was physically R&R'd pretty quickly. There was a significant (2mo+) delay while they were waiting on the software required to calibrate the lens, but I called Pentax Customer Support at the time and confirmed the software was not available in the US yet. Not sure how the cameras made it here and were for sale for a while first, but it happens. I also called CRIS to ask if they would be able to calibrate the lens and was given the same story. Again, I'm not sure what the holdup was, but after about 3mo, I received my little P&S back in fine working order and it's given no more trouble since then - and we've taken 3500+ additional pictures since its return.

Maybe this is helpful information for anyone looking for a service center closer to the east coast, as these folks are in the Atlanta area. I'd call them first and confirm you won't run into any delay issues, but it's worth a call.