Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

underexposed pics with Sears MC 50mm 1.7

Hello,
I'm using k200d with Sears MC 50mm 1.7. I have found that when I'm using Av, the exposure is fine. When I switch to manual mode using same iso, shutter speed and aperture (wide open since that's what Av does with manual lens) I get black pictures.

Pic example 1:
IMGP2560 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pic example 2:
IMGP2561 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have figured out that it is the lens. I can use the kit lens and run same test (pic in Av and pic in manual with same settings) and the exposures match. The strange thing is that sometimes (not very often) it works fine. When I remove the lens and move the aperture ring, the hole size stays the same (and some times is gets larger/smaller like it should). The aperture level is quick and snappy and it will open all the way when I pull the level. But when it is "stuck" the hole size does not change when I move the aperture ring.

My questions are: Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? If not, should I send it in to get fixed? Is it worth it? Is ebay my only option to find this lens (have not checked my local camera shop yet)?

I'm really disappointed. I was learning alot using this lens and of course, reading the valuable information in this forum.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

10-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, boriscieto. I have read up on the usage of the green button and using manual lens. I have the preview method set to digital preview. When the aperture is "stuck", I move the on/off switch to aperture symbol and the view finder is dark. When the lens is working correctly, I see what I expect in the viewfinder (view is gets darker/lighter depending on what aperture I have set). When I use the green button, the settings change, but the pics are still black. I know what is supposed to happen with the green button, etc. I have had this work properly a few times with this lens.

I know all of you see alot of posts about this very subject -- using manual lens. I have found alot of the posts and have found them very useful while figuring out my problem and I'm sure it gets old reading yet another quesiton about it. I will read through them again to be sure I'm not missing anything. I was just looking for a little advice. Thanks
10-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's probably not worth trying to get the lens fixed. A repair would probably be more than the lens is worth. I picked up the Chinon version of the Sears 50/1.7 for $10 shipped. You can get a Pentax M 50/1.7 for less than $50. I recently found a FA 50/1.7 for $100 (plus 200 mile round trip to pick it up) on Craigslist.

10-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Try putting your camera in M mode,focus on something not too bright with the lens wide open then stop the lens down all the way to see if the viewfinder gets darker,if so the aperture ring is doing it's job.Make sure the auto-manual switch is set to manual when using this lens.
10-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
Try putting your camera in M mode,focus on something not too bright with the lens wide open then stop the lens down all the way to see if the viewfinder gets darker,if so the aperture ring is doing it's job.Make sure the auto-manual switch is set to manual when using this lens.
I believe this is a K mount lens.
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I believe this is a K mount lens.
No need to set any switch, it is a K-mount lens. There were at least 2 different versions. One made by Ricoh and the other made by Chinon. You can set the AF/MF switch to MF, but that would prevent Catch-In-Focus from working if you have it turned on.