Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would still opt for Nikon even if you can't adapt much on their cameras- they seem to have a better build quality and user interface overall compared to Canon. Pentax will have a FF soon enough for all your current lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that full frame is one of those things that quickly loses its magic once you get it. We just want it so much because we cannot have one, while all the other brands offer at least one such model to their customers. That being said, I want a full frame camera soooo BADLY!
10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I think that full frame is one of those things that quickly loses its magic once you get it.
I am not sure about that oxi. I know of people who have converted from APS-C to FF and than never went back to aps-c. Than there is image quality that is better in FF, bigger sensor, more photons(correct me if I am wrong here). I like shooting wide and not necessarily long, hence I am sure I will benefit from that extra width that my wide-angle lenses will gain from having FF.
10-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nah, i am not denying there is benefit. Like depth of field, wider viewing angles, better viewfinder,usually better high iso perfrmance and this is why I want one (like I said). Im just saying, how many of us actually NEED the extra resolution/angles/depth of field and how much of a difference will it make in my photography. I feel like it will make a difference, but I cannot know for sure until I get one and use it for a while. Just cant help but ask myself all that benefit/joy of full frame, is it really worth the extra $1500? Its a very subjective question

10-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
I am not sure about that oxi. I know of people who have converted from APS-C to FF and than never went back to aps-c. Than there is image quality that is better in FF, bigger sensor, more photons(correct me if I am wrong here). I like shooting wide and not necessarily long, hence I am sure I will benefit from that extra width that my wide-angle lenses will gain from having FF.
To quote Wikipedia...

QuoteQuote:
Advantages and disadvantages

Compared to the full-frame format, APS-C sensors offer some advantages and disadvantages. Currently, digital SLRs using full-frame sensors are mostly used by professional photographers and advanced amateurs. This may be because SLRs with APS-C sensors are considerably cheaper than full-frame cameras. They are also lighter and smaller. Apart from these differences, there are two other important factors. The first is image quality. Theoretically, a larger sensor produces a better image, i.e. one with more detail and less noise. In practice, the difference may not be obvious and may depend on the use of a high quality lens and on the photographer's skill. The other difference is the crop factor. The smaller APS-C sensor effectively minimizes the field of view by about 1.5, so that a 300mm lens has the same field of view as a 450mm lens on a 35mm. While this crop factor is often called a focal length multiplier, it is important to note that there is no magnification benefit, only a smaller field of view. This means that, although it is possible to use lenses made for the 35mm format on APS-C cameras, lenses designed for 35mm may lack sufficient resolution to get the best from smaller formats.
10-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Hi Guys,

I am considering purchasing the Nikon D600 which is a FF camera. I was wondering if it would be possible to use Pentax lenses (Taks, M, DA, etc) on that body. Does a good, reliable adapter exist attaching the lenses on the Nikon body? I am told that all Pentax lenses will become manual, but do not know if it is true. Has anyone tried it or have any experience using that combination, than please share. Thanks.
You are much better off going for a canon body, because the registration distance for canon is shorter, and the throat of the mount is bigger, both these things combine to make it possible for a mechanical only adaptor with correct infinity focus, for any old legacy system, be it Pentax or Nikon
11-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think that full frame is one of those things that quickly loses its magic once you get it.
I found out that your above statement here, is VERY true. I got myself cheap used 5D so I can finally put my Pentax legacy glass on FF. Yes, it's fun, but that's all.

The viewfinder is bigger and brighter then my K5, but don't overexaggerate the difference. I still find myself wishing for a high quality EVF with focus peaking.

And, even with high quality FF glass, I find myself cropping away the borders that suffer from vignetting and border softness. Then what's the use of shooting FF if you crop every image?

So, I found new appreciation for the APSC format. I like the way it only uses the very best part of the lens. I think APSC has spoiled me in that sense.

LOL! Maybe I should mount 645 glass on my FF 5D to finally produce FF images that are sharp from corner to corner?

We just want it so much because we cannot have one, while all the other brands offer at least one such model to their customers. That being said, I want a full frame camera soooo BADLY!
Agreed, a FF-line from Pentax would do the brand a lot of good. Not to mention for the Pentaxians self-esteem.