Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #1

Nikon FF body, Pentax lenses

Hi Guys,

I am considering purchasing the Nikon D600 which is a FF camera. I was wondering if it would be possible to use Pentax lenses (Taks, M, DA, etc) on that body. Does a good, reliable adapter exist attaching the lenses on the Nikon body? I am told that all Pentax lenses will become manual, but do not know if it is true. Has anyone tried it or have any experience using that combination, than please share. Thanks.

10-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax lenses will not have infinity focus unless you use an optically corrected adapter. It will act like a short tele-converter and image quality will be reduced. All lenses become manual only, and DA lenses, lacking an aperture ring, would have no aperture control. In addition, DA lenses will not cover the FF sensor, you would have vignetting from most.
10-31-2012, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Placing them on a Canon body works like a charm though. The adapter from PK to Canon are without glass because of Canon's shorter registry distance.
10-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Boriscleto. That doesn't sound good news for my pentax lenses

Thanks Clavius. Than perhaps a Canon FF. Have you purchased the adapter for a Canon FF body, for eg. like the 5D Mark II ? Where did you purchase it from? Will the Pentax DA's become manual lenses on a Canon FF body too?

10-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote

Thanks Clavius. Than perhaps a Canon FF. Have you purchased the adapter for a Canon FF body, for eg. like the 5D Mark II ? Where did you purchase it from? Will the Pentax DA's become manual lenses on a Canon FF body too?
Yes, DA's become manual lenses on a Canon FF body and lack aperture control. You also have to remove the aperture lever to prevent it from hitting the mirror on a Canon FF body, or you can shave down the mirror.
10-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
That's bad news again for my Pentax lenses. Than I have two choices, either to buy into a new system completely, or wait for the jokers at Pentax to bring out an FF. Pentax lenses are too good to let go, hence I guess I will have to wait and hope.
10-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just purchased the cheapest Chinese version I could find on ebay, and it works fine.

Yes, they all become manual. And, with DA's, you'll have no control over the aperture, because of the lacking aperture ring.
10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
you'll have no control over the aperture
Than how do you figure out the DOF, does it become a trial and error experience? I don't understand. If you cannot control the aperture, how will you take sharp photos?

10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Than how do you figure out the DOF, does it become a trial and error experience? I don't understand. If you cannot control the aperture, how will you take sharp photos?
I don't use DA's on my Canon. Only Pentax lenses with an aperture ring. DA's don't cover FF anyway, so why bother?
10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter

With a DA lens there would be NO aperture control. Further, you will have only one aperture - wide open*. Further again, only a few DA lens are suitable for full-frame use - with most you will either get vignetting or unacceptable aberrations at the frame edges. *the only other way to adjust the aperture would be to manually move the aperture lever while the lens is unmounted and somehow clamp it in the desired position - and the only way to get consistency would be to etch your own scale on the lens next to the lever.

I'm sure some optics hobbyist would find this an exciting challenge. As for me, I think it would be a better use of my time and money to go find a different lens. Or, seriously question my need for a full frame body.
10-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the general guidelines:

Nikon: Backward compatible with most F-mount glass and not much else.

Pentax: Backward compatible with most K-mount and M42 glass and not much else

Canon EOS: No Canon backward compatibility, amazingly compatible with lenses made for many other mounts. As noted above, adapted lenses must have an aperture ring and there is also the issue of lack of mirror clearance for K-mount lenses on FF Canon bodies. This problem does not exist for M42 screwmount lenses.

Steve
10-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Canon EOS: No Canon backward compatibility, amazingly compatible with lenses made for many other mounts. As noted above, adapted lenses must have an aperture ring and there is also the issue of lack of mirror clearance for K-mount lenses on FF Canon bodies. This problem does not exist for M42 screwmount lenses.
This is not much of a problem, as the aperture lever is easily removed.
10-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Here are the general guidelines:

Pentax: Backward compatible with most K-mount and M42 glass and not much else
You forgot Olympus OM with mount replacement, Contax/Yashica C/Y mount with mount replacement, and Leica R with mount replacement. Pre-AI F mount lenses will force fit without modification.
10-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Tamron Adaptall SP lenses, work great on the Nikon. Just as well as the Nikon lenses but easier to find and much cheaper.
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Actually some M42 lenses have clearance issues at least on a 5D; the same in my experience applies to a 5DMK2. Cannot speak to the 6D. . .

M