Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M''', Av | mf with my K-r

Hello pentaxians

i found Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart at mosphotos.com and i am wondering where is difference between exposure modes which could be used with M,K lenses?

Available exposure modes as stated within table are

M''' and Av | mf

I am using when shooting with manual lenses M''' mode (M''' Manual exposure with stop down metering. You set the aperture on the lens, press the green button/AE-L button which stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed as per the metered value.)

but, question is, what exactly mean Av | mf and how to use it? is there any other option then M''' ?

-Av Automatic exposure, you set the aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed
-mf: Manual focus

thanks so much!

10-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If your question is regarding MF lenses, then you need an A-type lens to use Av mode. Set the aperture ring to A, then in Av mode, the camera will set shutter speed. The A-lenses have electrical contacts which allow communication with the camera. An A-lens will also allow you to use all available modes on the camera ; Av, Tv, P, etc.
10-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes i meant K and M lenses,

still, dont know why there is this exposure mode listed in table, option for K-r + manual lenses

Av | mf

dont know what does it mean
10-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
yes i meant K and M lenses,

still, dont know why there is this exposure mode listed in table, option for K-r + manual lenses

Av | mf

dont know what does it mean
Hmm, I'm not sure - hopefully a K-r owner will chime in with the answer.

10-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera will use Av exposure mode with any lens you can mount on the camera, but unfortunately will not stop the lens down when it does so unless the lens has the A position on the f/stop ring. The only way to get a non-A type lens to stop down is to use M mode (or Bulb).
10-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so it means i can use m lens with AV settings, camera will set shutter speed and picture will be taken wide open? but how could camera calculate shutter speed when there will be no stop down metering?

still confused

thank you for response anyway
10-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

It meters before taking the picture anyway. It just won't stop down to do it.
10-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Av mode can be used with non-A lenses (M, K and M42) but the exposure will most likely be off. This is because the K mount has been "crippled". Because of this the body has no way of knowing what aperture is set on the lens via the aperture ring. Also without the contacts the body has no way of knowing the min and max f-stops on the lens. This would not matter with a fully functional K-mount but could allow matrix metering. Av mode should be used with the M,K, M42 lens set wide open.

Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-7 | Pentax Support

10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

When I use the M 50mm on my K-r, the following happens:
-In any mode other than M it defaults to Av. Av is constantly metering, and you can set +/- exposure adjustment. But it will always meter and shoot wide open. You can use Auto ISO.
-In M mode you can use the +/- button or the green button to stop down and meter (you set the aperture on the aperture ring and the camera will set your shutter speed. You have to set ISO manually). When pressing the trigger, the lens will stop down and the shot will be taken.

If you have shake reduction enabled, it will ask you to input the focal length every time you turn the camera on (when using a lens that doesn't communicate its focal length to the camera).
Focusing is manual, but AF confirm will work with centre point. CiF will work with manual lenses that short out the contacts.
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
When I use the M 50mm on my K-r, the following happens:
-In any mode other than M it defaults to Av. Av is constantly metering, and you can set +/- exposure adjustment. But it will always meter and shoot wide open. You can use Auto ISO.
-In M mode you can use the +/- button or the green button to stop down and meter (you set the aperture on the aperture ring and the camera will set your shutter speed. You have to set ISO manually). When pressing the trigger, the lens will stop down and the shot will be taken.

If you have shake reduction enabled, it will ask you to input the focal length every time you turn the camera on (when using a lens that doesn't communicate its focal length to the camera).
But it does remember the last focal length you entered (at least it does on my K10D) so you don't have to go through the list every time if you have not changed lenses. This is handy when I am using the M 400. Once I have entered the focal length, I don't even have to look if I turn the camera off when I turn it on again. I just hit the [OK] button and let 'er rip.
QuoteQuote:
Focusing is manual, but AF confirm will work with centre point. CiF will work with manual lenses that short out the contacts.
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
Av | mf dont know what does it mean
mf means manual focus, Av means you can M42 lenses in Av mode (as well as any lens with a manual diaphragm)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone, appreciate!
10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
But it does remember the last focal length you entered (at least it does on my K10D) so you don't have to go through the list every time if you have not changed lenses. This is handy when I am using the M 400. Once I have entered the focal length, I don't even have to look if I turn the camera off when I turn it on again. I just hit the [OK] button and let 'er rip.
On the K-10D just a half press on the shutter button does the same as pressing the OK button in this case. This works better for me as my finger in naturally on the shutter button when turning on the camera and can be done with one hand. To operate the OK button I find I have to hold the body or lens with my other hand.
10-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I can reach the OK button with my thumb just fine. Different hands I guess.
11-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

When using a heavy lens such as the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro it is very awkward to move my thumb and heel of thumb from grip so that the camera is secure with one hand. At best I can struggle to reach the control collar, not the OK button. With a lighter lens like my 50mm Super Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro no problem. The Kiron is the lens I use 90% of the time. The gear is more useful in my hands than crashing to the floor