Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Pentax flash with canon DSLR camera

I have a Canon Rebel T3 (1100D) and a friend has borrowed me his Pentax AF400FTZ flash. Will this flash work on my camera? I've been trying to Google for an answer but trust what my Pentax brethren say. Can anyone help??

10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used pentax flashes on manual with canon cameras. Set the camera on manual and the flash on Manual. I don't have the AF400TZ so I don't know its manual adjustment. Play with the settings on the camera and flash until you are happy with the exposure.

if you set the flash to auto, I am pretty sure it can't communicate with the canon camera. So you are better to do everything in manual.
11-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Actually setting it to Auto should work just fine, it doesn't need to communicate with the camera, it has its own light sensor. Just use the scale on the back to set your aperture. However, TTL Auto mode will not work.
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My only concern would be if any of the pins should match those on the hotshoe.
It might be best to put some tape over all contact except the center spot. (This is pretty much a standard for the main firing pin.)
I would not want any potential shorting or unwanted voltages to go through the wrong pins on the body.

Of course, a better option would be to use a PC-sync cable (you'll need a hotshoe block with pc-sync for the Pentax flash) or use wireless remotes. These will avoid the possibility of mis-matched pins between the hotshoe and the flash.

But maybe Bob can verify if the pins are aligned in a manner that they won't cross-connect anything on the Canon.

11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Actually setting it to Auto should work just fine, it doesn't need to communicate with the camera, it has its own light sensor. Just use the scale on the back to set your aperture. However, TTL Auto mode will not work.
No, the AF400FGZ does not have an auto mode. Just manual (I believe Full and 1/4) and TTL. I had this flash for a while. The AF400T has an auto-thyristor which is probably what you are confusing it with. As others said it will work manual. If you put it on TTL, it will fire at full power always.
11-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
No, the AF400FGZ does not have an auto mode. Just manual (I believe Full and 1/4) and TTL. I had this flash for a while. The AF400T has an auto-thyristor which is probably what you are confusing it with. As others said it will work manual. If you put it on TTL, it will fire at full power always.
I was thinking of the AF400T, I've been looking for one of them for a while for a good price, I didn't realize there was an FTZ version that was totally different.
11-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
My only concern would be if any of the pins should match those on the hotshoe.
It might be best to put some tape over all contact except the center spot. (This is pretty much a standard for the main firing pin.)
No need for tape to cover the contacts.

My friend is a Canon guy (30D and then 7D I think). He uses my flash units (Pentax and non-Pentax, see last line in my signature) AS IS all the times.

The problem, as stated in some posts above, is that you have to use the said Pentax flash in manual mode. There is no whaterver-TTL nor auto.

11-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I was thinking of the AF400T, I've been looking for one of them for a while for a good price, ....
KEH has one, EX condition, for $69. I think that's a very good price. It comes with Cord A, however. I'd rather have a Cord B.