Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Pentax X-5 Questions

Hi Guys,

So I have had my new camera a few days now but not had chance to take any pictures outside due to work commitments etc...

I have had a play with the camera and looked at the various menu's and buttons and I have a couple of questions which I am sure will be totally obvious to the expert but not to me.

1, I have viewed the image using the Macro 1cm setting but the image seems to be blurred when trying to take a picture of an object at a very close proximity ie 1 cm to 3cm, what setting should I be using so that the image is not blurred at 1cm away from the actual lens?

2, I have looked through the manual but I cannot find out what the round +/- button does that is next to the on/off button, can anyone tell me what this is for please?

3, What is the Green button for that is located next to the Menu button to the rear of the camera, is it just a delete button?

I hope someone can shed some light on my questions and solve my mystery lol

JB

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-01-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
11-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your blurring is almost certainly due to slow shutter speed. Try using a flash or a tripod.
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Bravo Quote
3, What is the Green button for that is located next to the Menu button to the rear of the camera, is it just a delete button?
The green button can be customized, but by default, it reverts to the shooting settings that the camera recommends.

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Bravo Quote
2, I have looked through the manual but I cannot find out what the round +/- button does that is next to the on/off button, can anyone tell me what this is for please?
That's exposure compensation, which lets you make the image brighter or darker than what the camera recommends (or what the current settings are set to).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies they are very useful

11-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few days old, must have missed it along the way but I'm wondering about the blurry macros.

I had to look up the x5 wasn't familiar with it, but being a "bridge" camera, it should work the same as others I have used. Macro shots depend on the subject. Anything really small, my point and shoot and bridge Fuji all have trouble focusing, not enough there to focus on. I get lots of blurry shots. Most of the time it wants to focus on the background, not the tiny subject. I do a lot of macros of very small flowers, spiders, other insects, and quite often I find the auto focus bypasses the subject and focuses on the ground 6 inches away.

In some cases I can fool it by putting my finger into the picture, let it focus on that, then move the finger out of the way (holding the shutter button halfway down still) and it's focused on the actual subject. Then I can take the shot. My Samsung S730 was notorious for this (still is). Other than that I've never found a solution, if the subject is small, it misses it.

I also find the actual working focus distance is not exact. The Samsung is pretty close, my other Samsung (POS) won't focus anywhere near what it says it will, I have to back off at least another inch, and I'm actually about ready to throw it away it's so useless. The Fuji claims 1cm I think, about an inch is as close as I've been able to get it to work. If it's a fairly good sized subject. And then it searches a lot.

So you might try backing off just a bit, or maybe try and fool it. As long as you hold down the shutter button it holds the same focus. So you focus on something at the same distance, remove that while holding down the shutter button, and sometimes I try to fine tune the focus with the LCD viewer if possible before taking the shot.
11-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Pete I will try that tip and see what results I can get.