Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bower battery grips

Does anyone have an opinion about the Bower Pentax K-7/K-5 Battery Grip?
Is it water resistant like the pentax grip?Amazon.com: Bower Pentax K-7/K-5 Battery Grip Accessory Kit - Digital Power Battery Grip + Replacement Pentax DLI-90 (2800mAh) Li-Ion Battery XKPK7: Camera & Photo
a reasonable alternative to the pentax grip?

thanks

randy

11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wonder if this one of the generic grips sold on eVilBay. I bought one prior ($60) to getting a genuine grip and really there isn't much difference. There is a thread somewhere on the forum which compares them.
11-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have a read of this thread: D-BG4 K7 Battery Grip (Generic) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe all of the third party battery grips on eBay are pretty much the same as the ones you see on Amazon. I would buy them from eBay since you skip the middle man and it is a bit cheaper. I have the authentic pentax GRIP for my K-7, and I also have had a K10 in the past with a cheap $25 battery grip. A few things about the cheap grips:

1) You have no additional buttons such as Green, AF or AE-L on the grip
2) It is definitely not weather sealed
3) You can tell how it is made from a cheaper quality plastic

That being said, in function it is identical to Pentax one at only a fraction of the cost. My only concern might be durability, but again it has not failed yet so I cannot comment on that. If you are looking for Bang for the buck the 3rd party eBay grip def is the choice to go, if you are looking for something weather sealed, use the greenbutton/AE-L a lot, even when shooting vertical or just like high quality things go for the BG4.

11-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the meike grip on my K5 and I can not fault it really. It is well built and is a good match. It is also weather resistant. It also has the green button and AE lock etc. All work perfectly fine ! It came with two extra batterys and cost peanuts off ebay. My opinion is it is crazy not to buy one if your in the market for one. I was surprised by just how well built and sturdy it seems. I expected it to be rather poor to be honnest. It is simply not though. I have a genuine one which cost a fortune on my nikon, but I would not buy another genuine again after this. Even though the buttons work fine I dont use them anyway. It just affords a more comfy grip for me.