Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Pentax LX Focusing Screen

Hi sharers!

Taking pictures with an LX 50 mm F2 and soon with a 35mm, I am questionning myself about the focuing screen.
In fact, i have a SE-20 or 25 (guess 20), does it really match with a such lens (50 or 35mm) ?
Do you maybe recommand something else? (except the SA 23, i can't afford it).
Well, your help would be precious., thank you very much for your attention!
Best!!

11-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The SC-1 and SC-21 where used to be put in the SuperA (aka Super Program).

It's a focusing screen with microprism in the outer ring and split screen in the inner ring

it's not easy to find on second hand market, but so far it is the best focusing screen i've ever used.

The only drawback : don't use lens slower than f5.6. slower the VF become too dark even when there is enought light to use say a 70-200 for exemple.

the big pros : when using wide aperture lens (85/2, 55/1.4, 35/2.4, 28/2) it's truely awesome : focusing is really easy.

i have one in my SuperA and in my MZ-5n, and i wouldn't change the focusing screen for anything else.
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Aurele! much appreciated!
well, what do you think about the SE 20 while using a 50mm F2 and 35 mm F2?
11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the completely matte screen are usualy made for slow lens like f5.6 or f6.3 (say kit lens for exemple).

The pros are that those screen are still quite bright with slow lens.

But are tough to use when you use fast lens because you don't see the DoF.

Keep in mind that the more precise focusing screen you take (like the SA-3 or SA23 for f1.2 to f2 lens) the quicker they get dark when you stop down (i bet those are hard to use since f4 to onward.)

thus, considering you have a 50/2 and a 35/2, and that most of the f2.8/f4 prime and zoom are easy to find, i would suggest you to get a more precise focusing screen.

that said, i suggest you to check this page : Pentax Focusing Screens

You can find the name of all focusin screen, there primary use (like "SA3/23 Specifically Designed for : lenses with widest apertures between f/1.2 and f/2, and suitable for : Lenses with widest aperture of f/2.5 or f/2.8")

you can click on the small description test to see what they look like in picture.

chose carefully the one you want then scope the web to detect one... look like you live in France so take a look on belgium and netherlands web sites, you can find some bargains there.

11-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Then, it is exactly what I was thinking.
Thx for the tip, looking for in Belgium or Netherlands is a good idea!
Very kind from you to take the time to answer, enjOy your Day!!