Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Adapter clamped to lens!

Hi Guys,

The Senz M42 adapter has clamped itself tightly on to the Helios 58/2 lens. I am a pretty strong (or so I think) guy and have tried hard to get it off with my fingers but it doesn't budge. Even tried cloth, rubber, plastic to cover the adapter and turn it counter-clockwise but doesn't move!! Before I use pliers to strangle the bejesus off the lens, I though to ask my PF friends if they have any suggestions to avoid this cruelty against lenses and do things in a gentlemanly manner that they may have used sucessfully?

Any ideas besides the lens and hammer method? Thanks.

11-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A good "wrench" for an M42 adapter is a normal PK lens cap.
11-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

And a strap wrench is the first kind of wrench I would use - no nasty 'teeth' or scrapes likely to coem.

Also useful in the kitchen for the extreme jars which the normal rubber mats do not work for.

I used a strap wrench to separate two 116mm filters for a big mirror lens.
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks elliott, I will try that.

tim60 - I had the channel lock plier in mind to buy for this purpose. But strap wrench sounds good too. There are two kinds of strap wrenches that I have come to know from googling. One is the chain-based and other is spring-based. Important thing is their width of the strap(from where they will grip the adapter) shouldn't be too wide otherwise the grip wouldn't be as effective and may even keep letting go. Any particular ones that you can recommend I buy, or a link can be helpful too.

11-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I would start with a rubber strap one - it will not scratch the surface of the adapter or the lens. They are common at hardware shops (Bunnings in Australia), and even if it is not very useful for this, or you succeed will have other useful purposes around the house such as opening extremely tight jars or tap fittings, again where you need strong grip but do not want to scratch finishes.

Not sure what a 'spring-based' strap wrench is. The chain one sems like a mini version of the drilling tool 'cahin tongs'. Sounds a bit to aggressive for the delicate surfaces. In this kind of precision equipment you want to avoid digging into the metal because that creates burrs which result in damage which might make the parts less useful afterwards.
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If you don't happen to have a rubber strap wrench handy, some form of rubber or leather strap and some vice grips or pliers will do the same thing. I always keep some old serpentine and timing belts around from cars I've worked on, they can be made into useful tools.
11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also try pressing the end of the lens down vertically on a rubber mat or surface and turning. This will take all the pressure off the threads.