Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #1

Pentax P30n problem

Hi all,

My P30n is not working, i have just bought it and the film wind lever is being weird. I bought new batteries and new film but it still is not working. I cannot see out through the view finder and the film cannot roll onto the film roll thing. Numbers keep popping up in the view finder on the left side of it, and changing rapidly from 2 - 4 - 8 and so on. I haven't gotten to use it yet and i am really keen. Please help me!!!!!

Rburgess

11-04-2012, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgess Quote
...cannot see out through the view finder...keep popping up in the view finder on the left side of it, and changing rapidly from 2 - 4 - 8 and so on...
Just guessing here...So the mirror is stuck in the up position and the cycle it sounds like it is stuck the state when it is to tell the system that the shot is finished and that is already reset?

Is the aperture stuck in the open (normal view) or stopped-down (taking picture with aperture set) position?

I would also hazard that if there is any decayed foam (a common problem) that it will need to be disassembled and cleaned.
11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, i don't really understand what any of that meant, i haven taken any photos on it yet because it hasn't worked yet. Could you explain in simpler terms please?
11-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgess Quote
Hi all,

My P30n is not working, i have just bought it and the film wind lever is being weird. I bought new batteries and new film but it still is not working. I cannot see out through the view finder and the film cannot roll onto the film roll thing. Numbers keep popping up in the view finder on the left side of it, and changing rapidly from 2 - 4 - 8 and so on. I haven't gotten to use it yet and i am really keen. Please help me!!!!!

Rburgess
The number shown is light metering indicator and it's changing as the source's light is changing.

Did you take a look at P30t manual? It will help a lot and you can find your answer there. Try, for example, http://butkus.org/chinon/pentax.htm

11-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
A certain series of things happen from the time the release button is pressed downward... only the immediate things inside the camera and skipping the lens related steps... from the top of my head, but you'll get the idea.

Press- meter ON - exposure solution held - Press all the way - exposure solution held in memory - Mirror Release - Sensor confirms Mirror release - Mirror seated in full up position - Sensor confirms Mirror seated up - Shutter 1 goes to open cycle - Flash sync contact closed - Timer solution used - Shutter 2 goes to complete closing cycle - Mirror released from Up seated position - Exposure cleared from memory - Counter block, open - Film advance block, opened - Mirror at rest in down position - camera electronics reset or off - Film lever moves - film advanced - reset armature to release position - increment counter/set count sensor and block - reset and block advance.

Blocking is a short hand for locking or disconnecting.

Roughly the chain of events above would be a normal cycle.

The underlined part might be a possible places as malfunction points due to physical object or dried grease or broken part.

The one thing to do is test the camera by raising the temperature of it to about body temp. If it is in the fired or uncocked cycle, after getting it warm, hold the release button down for a while... two minutes at least. Then see if you can gently advance with the lever. NO GUARANTEES... I'm hoping the jammed condition is centered around the mirror and reset levers. If commonly they are gummed up, they slowly move when tension is on the release button.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 11-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.