Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Color Banding in the Sky

In the attached photo, there is color banding in the sky with my shot as it appears on Flickr. However, in Lightroom, I don't see any of that effect. Click through to see if full sized on Flickr, and it looks even worse. Any idea what caused this?

Last edited by Kozlok; 11-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JPEG compression artifacts.
11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

never tried Flickr, but I faced with such issue when a website compress a larger file to the allowed one...
so, it is better to compress it yourself...
11-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The banding comes from othe simple fact that there was not enough differential data in the shot. Likely this was due to either extreme change in levels during PP or starting out with a JPeg image and not enough exposure data to begin with

11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The original is RAW, and no artifacts show up in Lightroom. There is very little in the way of pp applied.
11-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

It could be that Flikr only converts your uploaded shots in a certain amount of colors to save space.... If it is very compressed with lower pixel colour count, there will not be enough color information to smoothly transition from one color to the other, producing the band effect you see.

I never tried flikr but I do use photobucket and never had an issue

thanks

randy
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Two things:
Make sure you are shooting in sRGB and not AdobeRGB. Most of the world functions in sRGB, and if a website is converting, it can cause a change in colours.
Second, jpeg compression. Websites tend to resize and compress your photos, which can cause a big loss in quality. The best you can do is find their standards and then do the resizing yourself in hopes that the website then won't fudge with your photos. Best of luck
11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Which uploader did you use? I've gotten different results depending on the uploader (new web-based, old web-based, desktop-based).

Edit: Never mind - straight from LR. I missed that.

Last edited by THoog; 11-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I just went in and checked my Flickrstream, and I do have very mild banding in my stuff that LR has uploaded. I didn't see it until I went looking, its that minimal.

One suggestion (no idea if it'll work or not) is to go into our LR settings and find your hard drive export settings, and set JPG quality to 100 (slide all the way to the right). Not sure if that'll work or not, but its how my own settings are.