Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Focusing issues with a K-m (K2000)

I seem to having issues with getting a really sharp picture.
I have the Diopter adjustment on the viewfinder set perfectly so when I focus something it looks razor sharp in the viewfinder, however, the resulting highest Quality JPG or RAW picture is simply not very sharp at all.
I have tried refocusing ever so slightly one way or the other from the sharpest view in the finder, but that makes it even worse.
Seems like a perfect example of "What you see is NOT what you get"
Is it possible the 2 systems are somehow out of whack with each other? is it something that may be adjusted or do I simply toss the camera as junk?
I'm close to that point now.
BTW....it doesn't seem to matter which of my lenses or telescopes I use, including the 18-55 lens the camera came with. I use mostly older Pentax mount lenses in the Aperture Preferred or Manual modes.
Your comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's see some sample photos!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's a couple that I took great pains to get razor sharp in the viewfinder, and the results are very disappointing to me.
The insulator is about 250 feet away and the neighbors license about 100 feet. The little serial number under the 2013 on the orange tag
was absolutely crystal clear in the viewfinder.
Like I said....disappointing
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Your shutter speed is too slow. The EXIF shows you used an 800 mm lens. The longer focal length, the faster shutter speed is required - even with shake reduction turned on.

It could also be - since you used an old lens - that you had shake reduction turned on but the wrong value entered for focal length.

11-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are those crops or are they the whole photo? Were these taken with a manual lens, since the aperture isn't showing in your exif ? Also, are you getting focus confirmation (green hexagon) in the viewfinder? When you adjust the diopter, are you setting it so that the grid lines in the VF are sharp?

edit: 800mm lens?? If so, what Ole advises is correct - you need a much faster shutter speed. And make sure the correct value is entered if SR is enabled.

Last edited by paulh; 11-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
As mentioned in the original post, the lens in this case is a 5" (127mm lens diameter) Telescope with a 1250mm FL at f10. It is 100% manual.
The mount the telescope was on is as solid and vibration free as any camera tripod available at virtually any price.
I take long exposures of the heavens with other cameras that come out sharp, so the slow shutter speed should not be an issue at all given the mounting.
I just think there is a problem with the camera.

BTW...these are NOT crops of the original 3+ mp pics, but the Pentax server sort of squeezed them down.
However, the poor sharpness is VERY accurate and representative of the original pics.
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a stab in the dark so to speak but is the shake reduction turned off? If you a re shooting on a tripod SR must be off.

11-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera automatically turns that off with these manual lenses
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No it doesn't. You need to explicitly turn it off. It is automatically turned off if you use the 2-second timer, though.
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, OK. I was using the 12 second timer and the camera's screen shows the anti shake is grayed out
11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If all of your lenses are out of focus, including your AF lenses, you might need to tweak your AF settings in the debug menu. In my experience, the MF focus lock indicator and the AF are linked. (on a K-x, and an *ist DS, anyway) So when you adjust the AF point correctly, the MF focus lock indicator will be accurate as well.

According to poster "AlwaysAl": "The proper way to set the diopter adjustment is to remove the lens and look towards a light source. Adjust the slide until the focus lines appear clearest in the viewfinder." I would do this before you perform the adjustment procedure. I wouldn't go by the focusing screen to adjust. It could be slightly off. I'd go by the focus lock indicator.

This will show you how to get into the debug mode on your K-m.

I've tweaked a couple of cameras this way, and it made a big improvement. Just use your fastest lens wide open to verify & adjust with.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)