Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #1

Sigma 70-300, aperture stuck!!

Hi Guys

I had recently purchased a Sigma 70-300 (here's the link https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html&page=2#reviewlist) which was a second-hand purchase. I cannot send it back to the seller as it has been a while.

Now, the problem I am facing is the aperture doesn't show anything (it shows F ...) and when I check any photo that I have taken, it shows me the aperture was 4.5 even though I had set it to perhaps F8. This has started being like that today, otherwise it used to work fine. I tested the lens on a K-7 and a K-x and the same thing happens.
Any suggestions how to get it to work again or if I may be doing something wrong.

11-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is the aperture ring fully in the A position? Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens?
11-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Right on the money elliott!!!!! and THANK YOU.
Yes it wasn't on the A position and as soon as I moved it there it immediately registers in the camera. You have no idea how disturbing it was to not be able to use the aperture stops. Makes me wonder why did they provide the aperture ring with f-stops on it if it would only register in the A position?
11-06-2012, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Older cameras allowed the use of the aperture ring, but current Pentax DSLRs don't. Also, the K and M series film bodies don't support the A position at all, so they need the ring.

Technically you can use the aperture ring if you don't mind using the green button for metering in M mode, but if you have an A position on your lens you'll get the best results by using it.

11-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Now that was an education elliott. This camera differences is something I would have never figured out by myself. Again Thanking You.
11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Now that was an education elliott. This camera differences is something I would have never figured out by myself. Again Thanking You.
I'd be laughing my ass off, except I've experienced that same thing myself. I've had it happen lots of times, and it still fools me every now and then. The aperture ring gets twisted a bit taking a lens off or putting it on, and all the sudden "my camera doesn't work." You don't feel any less silly after the third or fourth time it happens. At least if it's never happened to you before you have an excuse. For me, I just figure I'm getting old.
09-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #7

Thanks Elliot, I had same issues with 70-300 Sigma APO macro lens on K5. I did not know that I had to keep the aperture setting on lens on A. And was frustrated to see that even in manual mode, I can't select aperture ? Or can I ? Please guide if that's possible.

Regards,

Ankur
09-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ankurbbhatt Quote
Thanks Elliot, I had same issues with 70-300 Sigma APO macro lens on K5. I did not know that I had to keep the aperture setting on lens on A. And was frustrated to see that even in manual mode, I can't select aperture ? Or can I ? Please guide if that's possible.

Regards,

Ankur
If the lens has an A position on the aperture ring, set it there. Then the camera should show the aperture in the viewfinder, rear monitor and top LCD if you have a top LCD. In M mode, you can still change the aperture with the camera controls. If your camera only has one control dial like the K-r, K-x, K100D or similar, the dial adjusts shutter speed. You have to press the +/- Ev button and then turn the dial to adjust aperture.

If the lens has no A position, you have to use M mode. Then use the aperture ring to set aperture, the green button to meter, the camera dial to set shutter speed.

10-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If the lens has an A position on the aperture ring, set it there. Then the camera should show the aperture in the viewfinder, rear monitor and top LCD if you have a top LCD. In M mode, you can still change the aperture with the camera controls. If your camera only has one control dial like the K-r, K-x, K100D or similar, the dial adjusts shutter speed. You have to press the +/- Ev button and then turn the dial to adjust aperture.

If the lens has no A position, you have to use M mode. Then use the aperture ring to set aperture, the green button to meter, the camera dial to set shutter speed.
Thank you , mate. Very informative reply.