Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #1

K20D 3 errors on same sensor?

Dear Pentax users,

anyone knows what causing errors on attached photography?

1. thin line on left side with different color hue (if not visible on screen maybe need some magnification. on my laptop screen line is visible)
2. pink residue, starting from back legs of creature to right end of photography.
3. black right side corners on photography. should be the same like left side corners (brown ground), not black. it wasn't shadow on right side, and definitely its not half vignetting.

Couldn't find anything similar on forum so any help appreciate a lot.

Thanks,

Dario

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

My K20D has exactly the same problem as you described in 1 (couple of pixels wide line, but not always). Has been serviced by Pentax, they apparently replaced sensor board/sensor, and it didn't help.
This picture seem to have vertical banding. This is something my K20D used to do form time to time, although it looked bit different.
11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I see that was shot at 800 ISO in very low light, does the problem still occur at low ISO?
11-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Was the flash on? This could be the cause of the shadow.

11-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piotro Quote
My K20D has exactly the same problem as you described in 1 (couple of pixels wide line, but not always). Has been serviced by Pentax, they apparently replaced sensor board/sensor, and it didn't help.
This picture seem to have vertical banding. This is something my K20D used to do form time to time, although it looked bit different.
Hi Piotro,
Thank you on fast reply.
Yes, error under number 1 is precisely documented by German photograph on link: Picture 33
He gave few workarounds how to avoid some ISO ranges and also I'm using crop where I can to cut that piece out of the photography. However, its still an error and in the mix with two other errors huge number of my photos are unusable. According to his reply Pentax wont accept any complain on technology. Official service consider replacement of sensor/board under range of 800 to 1000...
For other two errors I didn't find any other example on Internet so I'm trying to find any solution/advice/opinion here on the forum.
Again, thanks for help
Regards,
Dario
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I see that was shot at 800 ISO in very low light, does the problem still occur at low ISO?
Hi Elliott,
Thank you on reply
I've saw lots of very nice pics with K20D ISO 3200 here on portal but without similar errors.
Also, under certain conditions (daylight, ISO 200, black cloth or black background, w/o flash) lines in the middle of photo are visible almost without magnification.
At ISO 100 on colored details errors aren't visible, but on black colors, after raising exposure lines in the middle shows up.
Regards,
Dario
11-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Giklab,
No, flash is forbidden in cavern.
It was same amount of light like on left side of foto.
Thanks,
Dario
11-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

That's not a very good picture for judging a sensor.Try shooting something black-grey and something white and see if you can find flaws

11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

800-1000€ for repairing a K20D? WTF much.
Was this shot through glass? I know that there is a glass terrarium for these guys in a cave over here. It could explain the vertical line and the pink hue (the body reflects pink light into the glass). Although if the issues are there on other occassions, then you have a broken sensor.
11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
That's not a very good picture for judging a sensor.Try shooting something black-grey and something white and see if you can find flaws
Hi Boker,

Thank you on reply.
Attached are two photos with less errors, but under normal daylight.
On the photo with two man in the middle, their black jackets have vertical lines.
On the photo of women with kids artifact is visible on blue sofa, pointed with white arrow, and wall should be complete white, where pink stripes on the wall are pointed with black arrows, also iso 200

Kind regards,

Dario
Attached Images

11-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
800-1000 for repairing a K20D? WTF much.
Was this shot through glass? I know that there is a glass terrarium for these guys in a cave over here. It could explain the vertical line and the pink hue (the body reflects pink light into the glass). Although if the issues are there on other occassions, then you have a broken sensor.
Hi Giklab,
Nope, there isn't any glass in cave. It was small open pool. In case of glass I would choose different angle to avoid reflection.
Errors 1 and 2 are on almost every photo under lower light and above iso 100 (from iso 200 and up)
Error 3 is only occasionally. Piotro had same problem but after changing sensor and board it didnt help. You can check on his reply up.
Thank you,
Dario
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #12

Downloaded your photos for a better look but couldn't figure out an exact cause.You might try cleaning your sensor with Eclipse and swabs to see if that helps.There are hot to videos on youtube that make this easy.The vertical stripes if it were a film camera I would think it to be a curtain problem .Don't now what kind of shutter is in dslr's but it could be the problem