Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Dumb question about resolution on Optio RS1500

Lifetime filmie trying to figure out a little postage-stamp of a camera, for a gig shooting occasional pix for a little local paper. They like photos at 300 dpi. My first pix with this camera are coming out at roughly 60x45" & 72 dpi. Avg. 2MB. The camera is set for 14MP. Can I change the resolution in the camera? Can't find this addressed in the manual. I know the paper can shrink them, but I was wondering if there is a way I can do this in Photoshop. I tried image resize but not getting the right settings ... or something.
Sigh... scanning my negatives & choosing the size & resolution is so EASY...

11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can resize the photos in photoshop.

DPI is a print setting, not a camera setting, so what you do to change that is either upsample or downsample in post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2012, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't resample the image! Just go to 'image size' in PS, and change 72 to 300. Leave 'resample image' unchecked. The number of pixels and file size in mb* will stay the same; but the document size will reduce accordingly. It will end up about the size of a double page magazine spread at 300ppi. There's no point having a 60x45 inch image at 300ppi and about a gazillion mb.

*The file size will be dictated by the jpeg quality setting you save at.

Ultimately the resolution in ppi should make no practical difference, but 'the client is always correct'.
11-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

60 x 72 = 4320. 45 x 72 = 3240. 4320 x 3240 = 13,996,800 or about 14mp. Should give about a 40 mb file when opened. (1024 bytes per 1K, x 3 - RGB.) Where do you get the 2mb figure? That is the size of your compressed jpeg file, how much space it takes on your computer. Jpegs were invented to make file sizes smaller. When opened, the file should be its proper size- click "show document size" in PS or elements.

11-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Lifetime filmie trying to figure out a little postage-stamp of a camera, for a gig shooting occasional pix for a little local paper. They like photos at 300 dpi. My first pix with this camera are coming out at roughly 60x45" & 72 dpi.
Or, a 14x11" print at 300 dpi. The same exact image can be printed at any size you print. The bigger you print, the fewer dots per inch that works out to be. You don't do have to do a thing, and neither does the paper. Anyone in the print business already knows they can print your image any size they want, and the resolution will be the number of pixels divided by the number of inches.

Here's another way of looking at it. Say you have a 48-oz box of breakfast cereal, and it says it contains 12 4-oz servings. Would you have to do anything to change that into a box containing 16 3-oz servings? 8 6-oz servings? No, that takes care of itself. Similarly, you don't have to do anything to change your image from 60x45 at 72dpi to 14x11" at 300dpi. It takes care of itself.
11-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Don't resample the image! Just go to 'image size' in PS, and change 72 to 300. Leave 'resample image' unchecked. The number of pixels and file size in mb* will stay the same; but the document size will reduce accordingly. It will end up about the size of a double page magazine spread at 300ppi. There's no point having a 60x45 inch image at 300ppi and about a gazillion mb.
A-HA. That was what I was looking for. Anything I previously resized was with resample checked. When I tried that on a sample pic, the program pretty much hung, it took forever, & I wound up with that 60x45 at 300 ppi & a gazillion mb! I knew there must be a way to shrink it as you described; couldn't figure out how to word it. So when I unchecked resample I got 11x14 at 300 ppi. Yay

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Or, a 14x11" print at 300 dpi. ...You don't do have to do a thing, and neither does the paper. Anyone in the print business already knows they can print your image any size they want, and the resolution will be the number of pixels divided by the number of inches.
I knew they could... just didn't know what I had to do to get the same result. I guess he told me 300dpi in case I wound up sending him little already-shrunk newspaper-size pix.
So I will just ask him if he wants the big one at 72 or the 11x14 at 300. Better if he does the work... save me a little time...

Sometimes one gets answers to questions so quickly on this forum. Thank you, guys!
11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You could just explain that your camera takes pictures at 72ppi, but the size of the image is (say) 4000x3000 pixels (or whatever it actually is) and this provides a 300ppi image if they resized it to 11x14. It is a pain for you to have to change all the ppi values, when they will resize the image at their end anyway.