Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Do HDR photos sell?

Hi Guys,

I am aware that HDR photography is not accepted by many as a pure form of photography. Lately I have been amazed by what it can do and have tried it myself with wonderful results.
Is there a market for HDR photography?
Has anyone found success in selling such photos online?

11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know if they successfully sell on-line, but a few months back, I bought 3 flash units from a professional high-end real estate (multi-million dollar homes) photographer. When asked the reason for selling the flashes, he told me he hadn't used them for at least a year, since he changed to HDR, and his clients were very happy.

So apparently HDR photos do sell.

As an amateur, I've been playing with HDR a bit. To me it's still a novelty; I haven't developed a taste for it yet.

Last edited by SOldBear; 11-09-2012 at 04:20 PM.
11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It isn't that it is "impure", just that it is tacky. I'm talking about the over-HDRed super-obvious stuff. There will always be a market it for it I guess, like black velvet paintings and other stuff that is considered lowbrow taste, but it is dated already as far as I'm concerned. HDR as a technique to bring out the tones you want to bring out is certainly valid, but that fakey hyper HDR look? Ick. I put it on par with the 3-wolf t-shirt:

Amazon.com: The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee: Clothing

(read the reviews on that shirt)

But I was at a market in a small town here in Colorado where they had a lot of local artists' stuff: tons of hdr landscapes -- they must sell some of it. Tacky!

I'm an elitist I guess...
11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a general rule, non-photographers buy photographs.

Odds are if you asked a non-photographer what HDR meant and you'd get a blank tare, but if the HDR was well done, they'd ooh and ah over the photo and if inclined would buy it.

It all boils down to what the end product looks like, the average consumer couldn't care less in what way that end product was achieved.

11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I guess it depends what you are trying to sell and who your market is
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

HDR images do not have to be over processes to the extent that they look like the typical HDR photos that we see. You can use the HDR and tone mapping in such a way as to bring out detail and colors which out over processing them.

11-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I wild say, if done well any photographic technique sells. The definition of well, might be difficult, but you would likely know it to see it
11-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sure,

Peter Lik - whose work includes the one photo that sold for millions, must employ HDR in his pictures.Look at some samples.

11-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
D4rknezz - I would think too about Peter Lik using HDR as many of his images seem to cover a broad dynamic range which can be all but impossible in one exposure.

Though one can conclude, as long as its not over-the-top PP and it doesn't look like a birthday cake, it will be acceptable to buyers.
11-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Hi Guys,

I am aware that HDR photography is not accepted by many as a pure form of photography. Lately I have been amazed by what it can do and have tried it myself with wonderful results.
Is there a market for HDR photography?
Has anyone found success in selling such photos online?
I've found the minimal type approach to be highly profitable.
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As alluded to above, there is HDR and then there is HDR. I see a lot of amateur HDR shots posted to a variety of sites that are so over-cooked that they look like cartoons. That is the sort of thing that gives HDR a bad rap. Well done HDR is almost undetectable. They just have a little more dynamic range than a straight, single-exposure shot. Most folks will never know. They just like the beautiful image.

Rick Sammon is a strong proponent of HDR and has made a LOT of money with his images. I mentioned the bad rap HDR has the last time I saw him a few weeks ago and he just laughed it off saying it is no different from any other technique. Done badly, it looks bad. He teaches how to do it right and it looks great.

Moose Peterson uses a lot of HDR in landscape images and I think he overdoes it a bit sometimes, especially in the clouds, but his stuff sells well so who am I to criticize.
11-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

Hello, you might want to look at a site called Photo4me -www.photo4me.com-which allows good amateur photographers as well as professionals to sell their work . There are a lot of absolutely excellent HDR shots -not of the tacky type-there . I don't think anyone on there makes a fortune but work does sell and there's a really good , supportive community spirit amongst the members. Your photographs need to be approved before they go on the commercial site but so far all of mine have been so it truly isn't hard to get on there. Its a UK based site but that doesn't matter as the site send out any items ordered , you don't have to do that yourself (not that I would mind atall if I ever was lucky enough to make a sale!)
11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

HDR is a technique, like many others, that can be used to enhance an image, or if done poorly can destroy the image. That said, non-photographers love well done HDR, just like they like things like the diffraction stars that the DA 15 limited creates.

I personally like HDR to add detail to photos, not to bring out lots of garish colors. There is a wide range of HDR and a lot of it does look like it comes from a video game, but some is really nice.
11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I don't know why HDR would be any less valid of a technique than using filters in the film days...