Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I doubt there will be any noticable IQ loss in using SR for fast shutter speeds, but by turning off SR you don't have to wait for SR to activate before the shot. Starting to shoot before SR has "initiated" will make a risk of IQ loss.

11-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting that. First time I have ever heard about it. I guess the only way to test it would be to do a comparison test.

I often turn off SR when I have lots of light because I find myself shooting too quick for the SR to lock on. This results in blurry photos and may be what the author is talking about. I have never seen an issue at high speed when I waited for the SR to lock but with action shots sometimes you cannot wait. This puts this issue squarely in the 'user error' category not an issue with SR but it can cause problems.

I suspect that a large portion of the missed focus or poor focusing issues reported by new comers to Pentax are really caused by the SR wait time.
11-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #18

Thanks jatrax. That makes a lot more sense to me now. The Pentax is my first DSLR and I have gotten into shooting digital very recently (I've had a film camera since I first started shooting in 1984... so I'm pretty new to the OS world and automatic, etc...). When I shoot concerts, the lights change all the time . That's probably why I've been getting some blurry shots as well, not that many but that might have something to do with the SR not having enough time to engage. I'm shooting another concert tonight so I'll keep an eye open and try with the OS on/off at various speeds. Will also be using a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (no OS) for the first time, so I'm really looking forward to that as well. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and for clearing up this issue guys. Very appreciated.
Ben
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I've heard and read about reports of VR/OS breaking down. I've never heard or read about SR breaking down. I would use your lens stabilization lightly and under certain circumstances it seems you are figuring out when you would like to use it. I personally have no problems with SR and I was a former Nikon user using VR. I usually don't shoot under 1/30 hand held.

I thought I read somewhere around here that SR works up to 1/500th of a second.

11-23-2012, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter

I think of OS (VR, SR) whatever, as just another tool. If you need it, use it, if not don't. I've never used any other digital system so I don't know if the other in-lens systems take time to spool up or not. The Pentax system does, and that takes a bit of practice to get used.

If I'm in low light and really need the SR, then it is on and I take more time to check that it is locked and that my stance is steady and my breathing is under control. If there is lots of light and the speed is high, I'll turn off the SR because I do not need it and it might actually cause problems if I don't wait for it.

In film we did not have such things and we got on just fine, so it is just another tool to help but not necessary.
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #21

HA! This video hit the spot.

11-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

How can you watch that guy? All those self-interruptions, umms, errs and distractions - I couldn't get past about the first minute before I had to shut it off.
06-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
My only lens with built in stabilisation is a Sigma 150-500.

I find that the in body stabilisation works better in these situations:

For taking steady shots of stationary subjects at reasonable shutter speeds (the 1.5/F rule) then the in lens stabilisation seems to be more accurate and give a sharper image.

For other situations the in body stabilisation seems to work better:

- longish exposures of about one fifth to one hundredth of a second - although it is very difficult to get a stable shot at such low speeds I find that with the in body stabilisation I have a far better chance of getting a reasonably good shot than the lens stabilisation

- moving subjects where you have to follow the subject, such as for instance a flying bird or a moving car. The SIgma stabilisation doesn't seem to cope very well with movement. It is probably designed for shooting stationary subjects. It does have a setting which is supposedly for panning shots but all it does is to disable horizontal stabilisation entirely and stabilise only in the vertical direction.

The Pentax in body stabiliser seems to be a bit more clever and 'knows' that you are panning and adapts accordingly. You can see this from the stabilisation icon in the VF. If you shake the camera the icons shows that it has lost stabilisation. However if you pan smoothly the stabilisation indicator will initially go off but then will come on again while you are still moving, provided that you are panning at an approximately constant speed. The stabiliser will do its bit to improve your almost constant speed pan.

I have used the in body stabiliser very succesfully to shoot birds in flight with slow speeds at long focal lengths whereas with the in lens stabiliser I hardly got any sharp photos.

My guess though is that different lenses will have different stabilisation systems so what is valid for my SIgma is not necessarily so for other lenses.
Many thanks for that explanation. I currently use a Sigma 120/400 with OS on my K5iis. What you said above is consistent with my untrained experience. I am contemplating upgrading to a K3 and the Sigma 150/500. Sigma says the in-lens OS for that lens does not function on Pentax gear. You have given me confidence to go with my contemplated upgrade.

Incidentally I bought the K5iis 2 weeks before the announced release of the K3 !!@! so don't want to jump the gun again so any comments will be appreciated.
Ken

06-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Not to confuse the issue here but what I do not understand is how some people can claim that OS is better than IS. Maybe there are conditions where it can be, but considering OS simply cannot account for rotation makes it much less likely to yeild good results.

In theory any way IS can account for 5 degrees of freedom, in terms of movement, pitch, yaw, rotation, and vertical and horizontal displacement , OS can only account for four.

The only advantage I see for OS is a more stable image in the viewfinder, and potentially also a more stable image presented to the metering and AF sensors.