Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K30 not reading lens info.

When I load a picture from my K30 to Photoshop Elements and check the file info, the lens information stays blank but the focal length shows the right value. Tried that with my 2 Pentax lenses and a Sigma with the same result. With my late Pentax Kr, the same lenses gave the information correctly. I have the latest firmware installed and did the checking with both versions of Elements. Otherwise, everything is fine. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks

11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses?

And have you tried another EXIF reading program?
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the information show up when you view the photos on the camera? Has a setting possibly changed on Elements? Can you see the EXIF data with another program? Would it be possible to post one of the photos (straight from the camera)?
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens info only works for AF lenses, in case you're expecting A-series lenses to provide that information.

Try attaching a photo straight from your camera and we'll see if the forum can read your lens info

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens data.

I use a Pentax 17-70mm and a 55-300mm and also a Sogma 18-200mm. All these lenses gave the correct information with my old Pentax Kr. I tried another exif reader with the same result. I enclose an image straight from the camera for you to look at. Thanks.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 12-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.
11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens data.

The picture of the birds was taken with a Tamron mirror lens, so no data. I enclose one taken with my Pentas 17-70mm DA lens so we can compare.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 12-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, looks like in your 17-70mm photo, no lens info was transmitted. Does your camera allow you to perform lens correction? If not, then I'd get it exchanged/repaired as there's obviously something wrong.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens data.

Something funny just happened. I took a picture using RAW and transfered it to Photoshop. When I look at the info, the lens info is perfect. Only in jpeg pictures the problem happens. I can live with that because I use RAW for keepers. Thanks guys.
11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #9

Same with my 18-135 and 55-300...all lens info is there, except it does not show which of the two lens that I used.
11-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Lens info only works for AF lenses, in case you're expecting A-series lenses to provide that information.

Try attaching a photo straight from your camera and we'll see if the forum can read your lens info
I get all the EXIF except aperture with manual lenses on the K30, this is with a Kiron 28/2 (no A setting)
11-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Something funny just happened. I took a picture using RAW and transfered it to Photoshop. When I look at the info, the lens info is perfect. Only in jpeg pictures the problem happens. I can live with that because I use RAW for keepers. Thanks guys.
Same here but with my Q, no lens info in Jpeg.I think my K-5 is the same way but haven't checked.