Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

how to make focusing ring on manual lens less slippery ?

can i take some sandpaper or something to an older k lens focusing ring with the ribbed raised rubber grip to make it less slippery ? i've tried cleaning it with lens cleaner, but it seems smooth from use , i'd like it to be a little more grip-able , any ideas on that ? thanks

11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wide elastic bands? Or, cut a section out of a bicycle tyre inner tube the same width as the focus ring = very wide elastic band. Secure as necessary with rubber glue, etc. Won't be pretty, but...
11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You CAN do anything you want but I doubt that sandpaper will help the situation. I must admit I said OMG when I saw
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
can i take some sandpaper or something to an older k lens
but after reading the rest I understand the problem.

Which lens is this? If it is a rubber grip some cleaners or belt dressings will make things stickier. However, without knowing the composition of the grip, putting solvents, cleaners or dressings on it just might dissolve it instead of making it better. Not something I would do casually without being able to test.

Also, is it slippery or just hard to turn. I mean if the focus ring turned easier would the grip still be too slippery? Just wondering if the problem is the stiffness of the ring itself rather than the grip.

Post what lens you have and maybe someone can give you a better answer.
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would not use sand paper.

Take some blue low adhesion masking tape and mask around the rubber grip so you dont touch any other part of the lens and then try to GENTLY scuff the rubber with 000 Steel wool.

Use a fine brush and a rocket blower to get all the residue off between scuffings and at the end of course. Be patient.

I have revitalized old rubber pistol grips this way with acceptable results.

Of course, Nothing is ever guaranteed.

11-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Broccoli band
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
the lens is a k 50 1.4 ; fairly large/wide rubber grip on it, focusing ring turns fine, i little more resistant to turning than some, but that's not it, just seems smooth , smoother than normal, maybe used a lot i guess ? maybe a rubber broccoli band, but would like it to look like the beautiful lens that it is, too. don't want to get any dust or anything in the lens either now that i think about it. so still not sure what to do. thanks
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Maybe you could visit your local skateboard shop and buy a sheet of grip tape (the black, sandpaper-like surface on top of skateboards). They are very inexpensive and then you could glue the grip tape to the lens ring.

There are multiple colors available if you want to get creative, but black is the most common color of grip tape. If I were doing a project like this I'd probably use an Exacto Knife and cut the grip tape to match the shape of the bumps on the lens ring so it won't be visibly noticeable.
11-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Maybe you could visit your local skateboard shop and buy a sheet of grip tape (the black, sandpaper-like surface on top of skateboards). They are very inexpensive and then you could glue the grip tape to the lens ring.
Lowe`s sell something similar, in different flavors. Shop SKID GUARD 3/4" x 12 Anti-Slip Tape at Lowes.com Plus it is good fer the ladies for filing down their nails while shooting .

11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Go to a shop that repairs typewriters or photocopiers. The repair folks use a treatment to clean and recondition all the rubber rollers in the paper path. The rollers have to have enough 'grip' to move paper, but cannot be so tacky as to allow the paper to stick. This is exactly what you want with the rubber covering the focus adjustment.
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
something like this jim johnson ? Amazon.com: Sprayway Rubber Cleaner & Rejuvinator: Home & Kitchen
11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

There isn't much detail there, but based on the user reviews it looks like this is the type of rubber cleaner/conditioner I was referring to.

This appears to be a spray. Do NOT spray it directly on your lens! Spray some on a soft cloth (like an old clean sock now used for dusting) and use that to apply to the rubber on your lens. Be very careful to avoid your optical surfaces (leave your caps on?). And you may want to select a small test spot before doing the entire surface.
11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
just to report back , since you guys gave me several of your ideas: turns out ( jim johnson ) i was afraid to use this spray stuff after getting it, ( i may still do that later on ), however i taped the lens all up with painter's tape good, and then lightly used an old hacksaw-bladed rasp thing that my grandfather had to roughen up the rubber just slightly, nothing that would hurt or damage it, did that a couple times, and it seems to have worked, just took that smoothness away so the ring is grippy now. you'd never even know the ' proceedure ' had been done ( i do have a couple of asparagus bands though just in case for the future, or the spray stuff if i need that , thanks, glinda. )
11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Rubber rejuvenator - I got some a while back to use on a laser jet printer I was fixing, it was in a foil pouch already soaked into a cloth. Going by smell, it's naptha, probably has some type of light oil mixed in since it didn't evaporate as quick as straight naptha would. I haven't tried it, but a wipe down with a cloth lightly soaked in lighter fluid should be pretty close. That smell is unmistakable...
11-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Rubber rejuvenator - lighter fluid should be pretty close.
Likely. But I would still feel safer using the stuff specifically made for the job and highly recommend a small test spot. The goal is to improve the grip without making the rubber sticky. Acetone and/or certain alcohols for example will do just that with many types of rubber.

If they aren't too far gone and you can isolate the risk of drips, some rubber products will also respond to a simple cleaning with a soft toothbrush and water with just a tiny amount of hand soap to hold the grime in suspension, followed by 'rinsing' with a lint free cloth that is a bit more than damp, but not dripping wet.
11-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Jim - I agree completely. I've been intending to check out lighter fluid, but using something other than camera equipment. I have some old printers about to be going to the dumpster, might sacrifice a roller or two before trashing them.