Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

K-30 . . Dust in Viewfinder?

Camera K-30 . .

Specks of (dust/dirt?) seen when looking through the viewfinder (not LCD).
The 'specks' are not on the lenses or visible in any of my photos (yet) . .

I've changed lenses, Cleaned the viewfinder, run the dust removal system, used a Giottos Rocket blower on
the mirror and the sensor nothing seems to make any difference at all.

What (where) could these specks be? Can I get at them?

Any suggestions appreciated.

11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, if you pose your question in the Pentax Beginners Corner I'm sure you'll get your answers there.
11-14-2012, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most likely place is the focus screen. It's at the top of the mirror box. The mirror is bouncing light into it. The focus screen is easy to damage by cleaning attempts; it's plastic. I'd try the rocket blower first. Dust can sometimes get behind the screen too, and trapped on the other side. You might try lowering the screen's metal holder and blowing it again.

At some point, I just accept that the risk of cleaning is not worth the potential damage. It's just dust in the viewfinder.
11-14-2012, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, That was it . . Now I know where the [ [ ] ] is actually printed :-) . . yes a careful but powerful blast or two of the rocket did remove
the most annoying particles (specks) . . but I absolutely agree with you "it's just dust in the viewfinder" not a problem just an annoyance. Thanks again.

04-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Dust in Viewfinder = Gone

Thank you thank you thank you !!!

Thank you Pentaxians for your answers and comments . . both in this thread and in others on
similar subjects . . what have I found/done?:

#1) Learned how to removed the 'focus' screen and to clean it (in the event that a rocket blower is not enough).
#2) Successfully removed 'focusing screen' . . the 'key' to a successful cleaning is NO DUST . . a prepared
as dust free as possible environment (at least a temporary one) . . STATIC free is a MUST.
I found the 'focusing screen' to be 'touchable' it won't break and not all THAT easy to scratch but you know
I handled it like it was an armed explosive device anyway (lol)
Problem Solved.
#3) Recommendations:
Plan lens changes with care, do not change lenses unless it's really necessary,
(for example learn how to get 'closer') to a subject instead of just immediately switching lenses
or learn to shoot 'landscapes' at moderate telephoto.
If you feel a 'need' to point and shoot . . get a point and shoot camera :-))
#4) OK that last one wasn't very helpful I know, sorry about that. I did not have to learn the hard way . . but in spite of
all the input and advice that's available on here I did . . now I know why this is called the 'beginners' forum :-)
04-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Unfortunately dust is everywhere in our lives, I learn not to see it, especially around the house.
04-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Cleaning the screen

Seeing this is a beginner's sub forum , I would highly caution others that view this thread. I would hate to have anyone come away thinking it is easy to remove and clean the focus screen. The screen is delicate and the OP should consider himself lucky. I would not make it a habit of cleaning the focusing screen. Sooner or later you will scratch it. If you think dust is hard to ignore, a scratch is worse. Also I would not recommend blowing the focus screen as it sometimes blows dust up onto the other side of the screen. All of this I tell you comes from experience.
06-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cleaning Focus Screen on K30

I've only had my K30 a few months, but managed to get a lot of dust in it,

After reading all I could find on the subject of cleaning sensors, focusing screens, etc., I thought I'd try it myself.

I managed to scratch my screen, but did get the dust out of it, only to find that I now had specs on my photos which means dust on the sensor!

I realized this is beyond my skills, so sent it to CRIS for a new focus screen and professional cleaning at my expense. Lesson learned.

After serious lack of communication with the repair people, and six weeks or so, I got the K30 back without my strap which I foolishly left on the camera. The focus screen has no scratches now, but specks and what appears to be fingerprints! After looking at a few of my pics on the computer there are still specs on the sensor (?) and what appears to be a scratch because it never moves even though I have dust removal enabled on startup.

I love this camera, but not at all happy with the service I have gotten from Pentax, or at least the repair center.

Not such a great experience for me.

Oh I did get a new strap in the mail after I emailed them, but no response concerning my other complaints.

RobN