Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

LCD-controller problem on Pentax k200d

Hi all, there is a display problem at my k200d: sometimes (from when I power on to when I power off the DSLR) i have "shades" of images previously viewed on my actual image (no matter is a menu dialog view, a taken picture view). Usually when this happens, there is a shape of a rectangle (darker in all colours) inside my LCD when viewing pictures. This issue first occured (and since then about 80% of times) after i raised up the mirror (from the menu) and cleaned the sensor with air-spray, leaving 2 "dirty" areas on the sensor (seen then with naked eye, also seen on pictures taken) but removing them easily with a non-alcohol glass-wipe. Now i suspected first the mirror, but it makes no sense, it has to be some logical issue in the controller that displays images onto LCD (i'll try to display images on TV - see if i can technically do that).
Does anyone had/has this behavior with any of the DSLRs? Any suggestions of what may it come from and if there is a possibility to repair this (i doubt, but...).

11-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like the screen might simply be broken and needs replacement. A Pentax service center should be able to fix that for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well, pressing in various places on the LCD does NOT change anything in the behavior so I wonder if it's not the electronics controlling the LCD. But still I'll have to check a Pentax representative in my country/city. 10x for info!
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You cleaned the camera with "air-spray" as in canned air? I have a feeling there might have been moisture in that stuff that damaged the main board of your camera.

11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
elliott: yes for sure some moisture was present also on the sensor (after that i've cleaned that spot and all ok with the spot marked on the pictures)...but so sensitive to be the camera to that air-spray? I mean i have to read here how you guys clean the dust from your sensors...
11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spasski Quote
elliott: yes for sure some moisture was present also on the sensor (after that i've cleaned that spot and all ok with the spot marked on the pictures)...but so sensitive to be the camera to that air-spray? I mean i have to read here how you guys clean the dust from your sensors...
Clean, dry air is fine, like from a rocket blower, but canned air is not just air. There are propellants, moisture and who knows what else in them. The camera wasn't hurt by air, it was hurt by moisture. I know some people say that canned air is fine, but I see it like playing Russian roulette with your camera. Many times it might work just fine and not harm anything, but the one time something goes wrong you're either looking at an expensive repair or a replacement camera.

I've heard of people using pure CO2 cartridges, those are clean and dry because they are just CO2, but I wouldn't trust any high pressure cleaning method. I'll stick with my rocket blower for air cleaning.
11-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
Now you're revealing something new to me - the rocket air blower...as simple as that, I've read now about it, it's just air and so easy to use, quite cheap also. Thanks very much, I'll buy one and use it with care