Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
genuine Pentax M42 adapter

hi folks

i am planing to use some m42 mount lenses with my K-r

i saw many warning posts around here about possible problems when using not genuine Pentax M42 adapter.

I tried to find place where could i order correct adapter but still cant find, could someone post link here? much appreciate kind help

PS: I know some people are using multiple adapters attached to m42 lenses, not just one attached to body. So you bought for example three genuine adapters for three m42 lenses? or i am missing something

thx!

11-15-2012, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
PS: I know some people are using multiple adapters attached to m42 lenses, not just one attached to body. So you bought for example three genuine adapters for three m42 lenses? or i am missing something
That is correct, you can buy one adapter for each lens. There are some drawbacks to this, primarily that the adapter will not lock into the camera because to make this work you must remove the locking tab. I use this method on my S-M-C 400mm because it is so heavy it is awkward to thread onto the camera. And since it is almost always on a tripod I'm not concerned about the lens rotating and falling out. For all my smaller lenses I do use the genuine Pentax adapter.

The concerns about the generic adapters are valid in some few cases but most of the time they are fine. Buy from a reputable dealer and do not buy the absolute cheapest ebay one. Most of the problems are related to poor machining. There is no question based on my experience that the official one is better made but most of the generics will work fine as well.

The genuine Pentax adapter was reputed to be discontinued and is no longer on the Pentax web site. At this point ebay or posting a "wanted" listing in the marketplace on this site might be your only option.
11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Roman there was a couple of these in the for sale forum, I believe they are still available.

There is a company in the UK that makes a good adapter, sorry I can find them. Perhaps someone will chip in with a link.
11-15-2012, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

There are different types of adapters. Pentax only makes one, and its good and it fits and it allows infinity focus (even though the adapter might wobble a little with some lenses). There are also chinese knockoffs, which require a special tool for removal and might not fit perfectly. Then there are also third party flanged adapters, which don't allow infinity focusing, but cover the camera mount contacts, even if the lens doesn't (some m42 lenses are very narrow at the base).
Uhh.. a genuine pentax adapter can be found online, is relatively expensive, and comes in a green/transparent plastic sleeve. You can try ordering it from Adorama or B&H (use the Pentax Forums link) or try a local store. I found one at a local photo store here in Central Europe, from a genuine Pentax dealer.
Edit: Hope you get what you need. May I ask which m42 lenses you are thinking about?

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-15-2012 at 12:39 PM.
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
There is a company in the UK that makes a good adapter, sorry I can find them. Perhaps someone will chip in with a link.
Thinking of these folks?

Camera accessories | Camera supplies | SRB Griturn | Photography
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Thinking of these folks?
Yes that is probably them. If this is it the site has changed since I was last there so I can't say for certain. The site I remember did need an update.
11-15-2012, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest problems I have seen with the generic adapters (the flangeless ones that look like the Pentax adapter) are the screw that holds the locking spring in place, the spring itself, and the orientation of the threads.

The screw may stick out so far that it scrapes the mount on the camera, and the spring can jam, making it very hard to remove the adapter. The first thing I do is remove the spring entirely and, if necessary, cut/drill a notch in the lens mount so that the locking pin on the camera can hold the lens in place. As jatrax said, unless the lens is very heavy, there isn't much risk of the lens falling out, even without a spring or notch.

The second problem, the orientation of the threads, means that when fully screwed in, the lens may not be oriented correctly with the markings at the top - some are off by just a few degrees, and some are 'way off. It's not a big issue, but it is a sign of sloppy workmanship. I have two or three of the Kipon adapters, and each one is a little different. (The Kipon has an inner flange to hold in the 'auto' pin on lenses like the Carl Zeiss Jena zebras.)
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The second problem, the orientation of the threads,
I have a genuine Pentax adapter and my industar and helios are both a little off (the same amount)

11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks people! appreciate a lot. IT looks so simple, just to buy genuine adapter and you can go with m42 lenses.I am currently not thinking about specific lens, just saw some great deals on ebay for m42 lenses. Also i heard that super takumar primes are one of the best ever made. I hope it does not sounds stupid i am only starting with dslr and manual lens world.

But i guess it wont be bad idea to purchase one genuine adapter and probably try some takumars

what do you think?
11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It's never a bad idea to try some Takumars! Even if they weren't great lenses (and they generally are), the learning experience is worth it.

Have we mentioned that this is how Lens Buying Addiction begins?
11-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's never a bad idea to try some Takumars!
It can be if you have limited funds and bad impulse control.

I use the cheapest infinity focus adapters I could find, but I modify them. I remove the clip and square off the edges of the bayonet lugs so they won't over rotate in the body mount. I just leave them on the lenses, but I currently have more lenses than adapters, so I swap them around to the ones I plan on using when I go out. I have a non-infinity focus one attached to my macro lens all the time, since I never need infinity with it.
11-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It can be if you have limited funds and bad impulse control.
(looks at glass collection) uh... I don't have a problem! People who say I have a problem, have a problem! And zebra lenses are cool!
11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks elliott, THoog

what do you mean with "square off the edges of the bayonet lugs" ?

i think its good idea to remove the clip and mount adapter on to the lens,.but i am afraid that lens could fall out of body when it is not secured (due to removed clip)
11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd just like to warn you that some Russian lenses are m39, not m42. They need a different or one more adapter. Just saying, because there have been cases where someone bought or received a lens they thought is m42, but then didn't fit their adapter. Leica has a different m39 mount (different pitch and different flange distance)
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
thanks elliott, THoog

what do you mean with "square off the edges of the bayonet lugs" ?

i think its good idea to remove the clip and mount adapter on to the lens,.but i am afraid that lens could fall out of body when it is not secured (due to removed clip)
The bayonet lugs are the three tabs that stick out from the ring of the adapter and lock into the K-mount on the camera. On some cheap adapters, they are poorly machined, and the edges may need to be cleaned up a little. I haven't had to do that on any of mine.

I also haven't had problems with lenses falling out (unless they had very stiff focusing, probably due to old grease).