Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Weatherized Lens?

Hello, I am looking to purchase the Pentax smc P-D FA 100mm 2.8 Macro Auto Focus Lens which is the non-weatherized version and about 300.00 plus easier on the wallet. My question is does it make that big of difference? I will be shooting some winter scenes. I use a Kx and soon will be upgrading to the K5. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks and happy shooting!

11-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's not weather sealed, so if you expect it to get snowed on I would get the WR version. Then again, unless you step up to a K-30, the weather sealing in the lens isn't going to do you much good

The non-WR has an aperture ring and a clamp, though, both of which are good for extreme macro work.
11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt that you need WR for winter scenes, given how dry and crisp it gets up there. Now, if you plan on hitting the ski slopes with "east coast powder" flying all over the place, then a WR or DA* would be a better choice IMO.

Cheers.
11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I do shoot insects for the most part so not a lot of those fellows out and about in the winter But would still like to take it out and shoot after the snow has fallen. I am looking to get better macro shots so it sounds like I am on the right track. Thank you for your help.

11-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Ex Finn, I was thinking I would be okay but better to be safe then sorry. Also big difference in price between the two lenses.
11-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can swing the WR version then by all means, go for it.

Cheers.

p.s. That railroad track shot is very nice.
11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just carry some cheap Op Tech rain sleeves in case of precipitation and enjoy your new lens. I have the weather sealed version and like it a lot but the sealing has only come into play once or twice. You can work around it.
11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 2c. I do winter camping and canoeing rest of year--and never owned a WR lens (yes I use a Nikon underwater camera if I expect to leave the camera in the floor of the canoe). Winter is not very tough--as regards water. Also the WR is missing the aperture ring--and that is a major negative for macro. Really limits you as regards using add on tubes, and does not allow you to "lie" about the focal length to get optimum SR when doing closeup.

11-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the tips everyone! I really think the lack of the aperture ring sealed the deal. I agree water would pose more of a threat in regards to damage. But I needed the reassurance of more experienced photographers before making the purchase!

Best Regards!
11-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For winter, I haven't really worried about weather sealing in terms of snow falling on the camera as the temperature was usually cold enough that it wouldn't melt. However, if you can afford it I would go for the WR if you plan on taking the lens out in the rain.
11-17-2012, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #11

Just to give you further reassurance, I've used my K-x in winter quite a few times with the 55-300. Never had a problem, except my frozen fingers.