Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 Meter always going to (+)

I have a quick question, hopefully you guys can help me. My 6x7 is acting a little strange. I can be at f22 in a dark room and the meter will jump straight to (+) if i turn it on. I can have the lens cap on and it'll go straight to (+) if I turn it on as well.

However, when I put the shutter speed to Bulb (B) the meter functions properly, if I changed the apertures the needle will slowly underexpose and overexpose depending on which value I choose.

Anyone have a clue as to why my meter jumps straight to (+) overexpose even when the lens cap is on, or when it's impossible to be overexposed?

Please help me out!

11-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
What is its behavior when in the MANUAL mode?
11-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
In manual mode the needle hits overexposed (+) and I cannot turn it off. In Auto if I turn the meter off the needle will drop.
Kinda weird.
11-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
So I think I've figured it out. When the meter is OFF its at the + sign. When I turn it ON it drops to the - sign ready to meter.
Maybe mine might be inverted I'm not sure, but so far I think I've made sense of it somewhat.

11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikebamboo Quote
Maybe mine might be inverted I'm not sure, but so far I think I've made sense of it somewhat.
If someone tried to repair it and rewired wrong...maybe... if someone tried to fix meter and installed the shutter dial wrong, leaving the potentiometer calibrated to the wrong tolerances.

Otherwise, It can also be one of the components has died.

So at no time the meter settles down and gives the correct readings?
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is everything that's supposed to couple matched up properly? I'm really only familiar with the original 6x7, come down to it, but that might be a possibility.
11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
If someone tried to repair it and rewired wrong...maybe... if someone tried to fix meter and installed the shutter dial wrong, leaving the potentiometer calibrated to the wrong tolerances.

Otherwise, It can also be one of the components has died.

So at no time the meter settles down and gives the correct readings?
Now that I've noticed what was going on. When there is no possibility of an exposure the needle will drop to -
Once I figured out what was goin on. I put the lens cap on and the needle did drop.

So it seems that it's working, the only different is is that at resting its at +. Now I hope I can trust the exposures it reads.
11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikebamboo Quote
Now I hope I can trust the exposures it reads.
Test the meter in day light and use Sunny-16.

11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their help. The light meter is actually working properly. It's dead on. I tested it's meter against a handheld meter and I received the same reading.
So at least it works.