Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I accept all you say as good information, especially if one seeks ultimate quality in resolution. I did find a good little camera store when I visited Auckland earlier this year, and he did a pretty good job onto a CD. I doubt an upload onto this thread will do it justice, but here is one of those pictures taken with a Kodak Retina 1B with a Schneider Zenar 2.8 lens. Shots like this call out for detail to be clear.
Thanks for the great example of the good results that might be had with a mini-lab scan. It looks like you have a good lab that takes pride in their scans. I too have several folders with files showing similar good results from the mini-lab.

I also have three or four rolls where I was only able to use 1 or 2 frames. I don't have a good example to post, primarily because the issues don't really show at the 800x533 resolution that I normally post at. The photo below was barely usable due to sharpening artifact introduced in the scan. In the full resolution image, detail in the lower-contrast regions is practically non-existent due to pixelation and moire. The result is a scan that cannot be realistically worked with in PP.

I took the negatives from that roll back to the lab along with the CD. The manager insisted that the results were the best that could be expected from 35mm film (in this case, Ektar 100 exposed at box speed).

Here is another from a later roll of Ektar. The results are pleasant enough, but appear "grainy" due to artifact. This is particularly apparent in the cirrus clouds. The graininess is not present in the original negative.

It was soon after this roll that I shelled out the $$$ for a Nikon 5000 ED (this was when they were still available). The difference was night and day, but it was a dear price to pay. My scans are clean now and free from the sharpening and jpeg artifact that plagued and degraded the Noritsu minilab scans and I seldom have scan-related issues with my images.

Again, I would emphasize that the poor Noritsu scans were primarily on low contrast subjects. In those situations the scanner apparently cranked up the sharpening algorithm (or something) with resulting artifact. To balance things out, the image below was also taken using Ektar 100 and scanned by the lab on their Noritsu.

Soooo...as they say..."Your mileage may vary..."

Steve

11-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Good post Steve, I think you've described a common scenario.

Yes, the biggest scanning crime of minilabs is excessive sharpening. They will also charge more for a TIFF file, while this doesn't cost any extra if you scan it yourself. Although I'm not the biggest fan of PP, if you're scanning film you will need to do some, and having a good file is very important.
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering why I could see bad grain in dark areas of some of my other scans, and it would appear that the scanning has a lot to do with it. My personal scanner is a Canon 9000f flat bed and it does a reasonable job. Here is a scan of a slide on 10 ASA Kodachrome taken in 1961 with a Retinette (no light meter or range finder on it) f3.5 Reomar Schneider lens. I think the scan came out quite well at 2400 DPI, so all is not lost if you don't want to go commercial. Half a century old and Kodachrome still shines.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CanoScan 9000F  Photo